displaying Cyrillic in RGui under Windows

displaying Cyrillic in RGui under Windows

Roger Levy
I have a data frame with Cyrillic text that I would like to be able to
view under RGui.  Unfortunately I can't figure out from the manuals how
to make this happen -- can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Roger Levy

Re: displaying Cyrillic in RGui under Windows

Prof Brian Ripley
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Roger Levy wrote:

> I have a data frame with Cyrillic text that I would like to be able to
> view under RGui.  Unfortunately I can't figure out from the manuals how
> to make this happen -- can someone point me in the right direction?

You can only do this if you run RGui in a Cyrillic locale.  Unfortunately
there are several incompatible Cyrillic encodings, so let's hope this is
the Windows one.  If so, set Windows to Russian as per the rw-FAQ, select
LANGUAGE=en and it should work.

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Roger Levy wrote:
>
>> I have a data frame with Cyrillic text that I would like to be able to
>> view under RGui.  Unfortunately I can't figure out from the manuals how
>> to make this happen -- can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> You can only do this if you run RGui in a Cyrillic locale.
> Unfortunately there are several incompatible Cyrillic encodings, so
> let's hope this is the Windows one.  If so, set Windows to Russian as
> per the rw-FAQ, select LANGUAGE=en and it should work.

Thanks, I understand better now.  Apparently the only usable encoding is
Windows-1251, which R switches to upon the command
Sys.setlocale(,"russian").  After converting my data files to that
encoding and switching the Windows locale, everything works great.

Many thanks.

Roger