envi clone in R

Wladimir Eremeev
Hello all,

  Research Systems (www.rsinc.com) have developed and distributes the language IDL,
  and the GIS ENVI, written in IDL.

  To my oppinion, R language is superior, compared to IDL, in all aspects.
  However, ENVI is the rather convenient and feature rich tool.

  Is anyone aware about any work, dedicated to the creation of
  something, similar to the ENVI, but in R?

  Also, recently, the R bindings to the GTK library have appeared...

---
Best regards,
Wladimir                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [R-sig-Geo] envi clone in R

barry rowlingson
Wladimir Eremeev wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   Research Systems (www.rsinc.com) have developed and distributes the language IDL,
>   and the GIS ENVI, written in IDL.

  I find it hard to believe they wrote it all in IDL! I'm guessing its
probably scriptable in IDL, but underneath its written in something
else... I could be wrong though!

>   To my oppinion, R language is superior, compared to IDL, in all aspects.
>   However, ENVI is the rather convenient and feature rich tool.

  I clicked on 'Product Documentation' on the ENVI site and it wanted me
to log in or create a new user. To see the documentation? To find out
what the program is about?

  Oh, what I really wanted was the Feature Tour..

>   Is anyone aware about any work, dedicated to the creation of
>   something, similar to the ENVI, but in R?

  Last year I looked at GIS-R linkages, with the added criteria of being
open source and cross-platform. There are now a few free GIS packages
that can do this kind of thing, with a little added glue.

  I settled on OpenEV - it has vector and raster support, its extensible
in Python and uses Gtk for dialogs which you can customise. All I needed
was to get Python talking to R, so I wrote some Python bindings to
Rserve. Now I've got a GIS with a menu that drops down, you choose the
point layers you want to work on, click 'Go', and R does some analysis
that ends up as a raster layer back in the GIS. The user doesnt care
that R did it.

Other GIS solutions are available!

Barry

Re: [R-sig-Geo] envi clone in R

Tim Keitt
Barry,

I hope you will share your code! We've been using QGIS and I have in
mind just such an interface to R.

We have ENVI in the lab and it is very powerful for image processing. It
would take many many person years to reproduce all of the advanced
algorithms in that package. (It does a lot of simple operations as well
and those could easily be recoded in R.)

THK

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 18:09 +0000, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Wladimir Eremeev wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> >   Research Systems (www.rsinc.com) have developed and distributes the language IDL,
> >   and the GIS ENVI, written in IDL.
>
>   I find it hard to believe they wrote it all in IDL! I'm guessing its
> probably scriptable in IDL, but underneath its written in something
> else... I could be wrong though!
>
> >   To my oppinion, R language is superior, compared to IDL, in all aspects.
> >   However, ENVI is the rather convenient and feature rich tool.
>
>   I clicked on 'Product Documentation' on the ENVI site and it wanted me
> to log in or create a new user. To see the documentation? To find out
> what the program is about?
>
>   Oh, what I really wanted was the Feature Tour..
>
> >   Is anyone aware about any work, dedicated to the creation of
> >   something, similar to the ENVI, but in R?
>
>   Last year I looked at GIS-R linkages, with the added criteria of being
> open source and cross-platform. There are now a few free GIS packages
> that can do this kind of thing, with a little added glue.
>
>   I settled on OpenEV - it has vector and raster support, its extensible
> in Python and uses Gtk for dialogs which you can customise. All I needed
> was to get Python talking to R, so I wrote some Python bindings to
> Rserve. Now I've got a GIS with a menu that drops down, you choose the
> point layers you want to work on, click 'Go', and R does some analysis
> that ends up as a raster layer back in the GIS. The user doesnt care
> that R did it.
>
> Other GIS solutions are available!
>
> Barry

Timothy H. Keitt
Assistant Professor
http://www.keittlab.org/
http://www.utexas.edu/directory/index.php?q=Keitt

Re: [R-sig-Geo] envi clone in R

Wladimir Eremeev
Dear Barry,

BR> Wladimir Eremeev wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>   Research Systems (www.rsinc.com) have developed and distributes the language IDL,
>>   and the GIS ENVI, written in IDL.

BR>   I find it hard to believe they wrote it all in IDL! I'm guessing its
BR> probably scriptable in IDL, but underneath its written in something
BR> else... I could be wrong though!

Well, not in IDL completely, I think, there is also C and Fortran code
underneath.

>>   To my oppinion, R language is superior, compared to IDL, in all aspects.
>>   However, ENVI is the rather convenient and feature rich tool.

By the way, even the interface to an external code is implemented in R
much more conveniently, compared to IDL.
It took me several hours to make IDL to call my C functions from DLL.
I have read the documentation carefully 2 or 3 times...

And I have done the same task in R in several minutes.

---
Best regards,
Wladimir                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [R-sig-Geo] envi clone in R

Wladimir Eremeev
Dear Barry,

By the way...
BR>   I settled on OpenEV - it has vector and raster support, its extensible
BR> in Python and uses Gtk for dialogs which you can customise.

I have seen OpenEV.
Unfortunately, I could not find a documentation or user guide for
quick start and had not too much time to realize what is what and
how to use its features with 'mouse point-and-click' :)

Do you have a link to such a document?

---