Quantcast

export tables to Excel files

Ivan Calandra
Dear R users,

I've just posted a similar question about Illustrator.
This time I would like to export the results of my statistic tables and
my dataframes into Excel files.

Up to now I've used write.csv(), but I have to resave every file in .xls
in Excel.
I would like to know if there is a function or package to export
directly into *.xls.

I have found xlsReadWrite which would be perfect for me, if only I could
append data to an existing file (I need to do it) and it doesn't work
with R2.10 (of course the version I use...).
Of course, since I would like to export .xls files, I would have to be
able to read them too, which means that the package WriteXLS wouldn't be
enough. And in any case, appending data is not possible.
The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.

Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs? There might
also be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all
suggestions of course!

Thanks in advance for your help
Ivan

Re: export tables to Excel files

Gabor Grothendieck
See R wiki for discussion of various packages that interface R and Excel:

http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Ivan Calandra
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I've just posted a similar question about Illustrator.
> This time I would like to export the results of my statistic tables and my
> dataframes into Excel files.
>
> Up to now I've used write.csv(), but I have to resave every file in .xls in
> Excel.
> I would like to know if there is a function or package to export directly
> into *.xls.
>
> I have found xlsReadWrite which would be perfect for me, if only I could
> append data to an existing file (I need to do it) and it doesn't work with
> R2.10 (of course the version I use...).
> Of course, since I would like to export .xls files, I would have to be able
> to read them too, which means that the package WriteXLS wouldn't be enough.
> And in any case, appending data is not possible.
> The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.
>
> Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs? There might also
> be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all suggestions of
> course!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
> Ivan

Re: export tables to Excel files

Tal Galili
This post:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/export-data-frames-to-multi-worksheet-excel-file-2/
<http://www.r-bloggers.com/export-data-frames-to-multi-worksheet-excel-file-2/>Has
a great overview...

----------------Contact
Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Gabor Grothendieck <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> See R wiki for discussion of various packages that interface R and Excel:
>
> http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:data-io:ms_windows
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Ivan Calandra
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear R users,
> >
> > I've just posted a similar question about Illustrator.
> > This time I would like to export the results of my statistic tables and
> my
> > dataframes into Excel files.
> >
> > Up to now I've used write.csv(), but I have to resave every file in .xls
> in
> > Excel.
> > I would like to know if there is a function or package to export directly
> > into *.xls.
> >
> > I have found xlsReadWrite which would be perfect for me, if only I could
> > append data to an existing file (I need to do it) and it doesn't work
> with
> > R2.10 (of course the version I use...).
> > Of course, since I would like to export .xls files, I would have to be
> able
> > to read them too, which means that the package WriteXLS wouldn't be
> enough.
> > And in any case, appending data is not possible.
> > The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.
> >
> > Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs? There might
> also
> > be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all suggestions
> of
> > course!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help
> > Ivan

Odp: export tables to Excel files

PIKAL Petr
Hi

I use this simple statement to produce output readable directly to excel

> write.excel
function (tab, ...)
write.table(tab, "clipboard", sep = "\t", row.names = F)

If you put a name of a file instead of "clipboard" then you can use output
to file and you can use append =TRUE

See ?write.table for further options. It is not so sophisticated as other
possibilities but I got used to it and it works.

Regards
Petr

[hidden email] napsal dne 23.02.2010 10:35:11:

> Dear R users,
>
> I've just posted a similar question about Illustrator.
> This time I would like to export the results of my statistic tables and
> my dataframes into Excel files.
>
> Up to now I've used write.csv(), but I have to resave every file in .xls

> in Excel.
> I would like to know if there is a function or package to export
> directly into *.xls.
>
> I have found xlsReadWrite which would be perfect for me, if only I could

> append data to an existing file (I need to do it) and it doesn't work
> with R2.10 (of course the version I use...).
> Of course, since I would like to export .xls files, I would have to be
> able to read them too, which means that the package WriteXLS wouldn't be

> enough. And in any case, appending data is not possible.
> The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.
>
> Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs? There might
> also be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all
> suggestions of course!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
> Ivan

Re: Odp: export tables to Excel files

Tal Galili
p.s:

>From the post I linked to earlier, I personally am using this code:

# install.packages("RODBC")

library(RODBC)
save2excel <- function(x, t.name) sqlSave(xlsFile,
x, tablename = t.name, rownames = FALSE, addPK = T)
xlsFile <- odbcConnectExcel("C:\\output-tables.xls", readOnly = FALSE)

temp.df <- data.frame(a = rnorm(10), b = runif(10))
temp.df2 <- data.frame(a = rnorm(10), b = runif(10))
save2excel(temp.df, "test")
save2excel(temp.df2, "test2")
odbcCloseAll()

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Petr PIKAL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use this simple statement to produce output readable directly to excel
>

> > write.excel
> function (tab, ...)
> write.table(tab, "clipboard", sep = "\t", row.names = F)
>
> If you put a name of a file instead of "clipboard" then you can use output
> to file and you can use append =TRUE
>
> See ?write.table for further options. It is not so sophisticated as other
> possibilities but I got used to it and it works.
>
> Regards
> Petr
>
> [hidden email] napsal dne 23.02.2010 10:35:11:
>
> > Dear R users,
> >
> > I've just posted a similar question about Illustrator.
> > This time I would like to export the results of my statistic tables and
> > my dataframes into Excel files.
> >
> > Up to now I've used write.csv(), but I have to resave every file in .xls
>
> > in Excel.
> > I would like to know if there is a function or package to export
> > directly into *.xls.
> >
> > I have found xlsReadWrite which would be perfect for me, if only I could
>
> > append data to an existing file (I need to do it) and it doesn't work
> > with R2.10 (of course the version I use...).
> > Of course, since I would like to export .xls files, I would have to be
> > able to read them too, which means that the package WriteXLS wouldn't be
>
> > enough. And in any case, appending data is not possible.
> > The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.
> >
> > Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs? There might
> > also be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all
> > suggestions of course!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help
> > Ivan

Re: Odp: export tables to Excel files

Ivan Calandra
Thank you all for your helpful answers
I will probably use the solution below, it seems more flexible.
Ivan

Le 2/23/2010 11:16, Tal Galili a écrit :

> [...]
>     wouldn't be
>
>     > enough. And in any case, appending data is not possible.
>     > The package xlsx is not what I need since I still use Excel 2003.
>     >
>     > Are there other packages that would correspond to my needs?
>     There might
>     > also be a better, completely different, approach. I'm open to all
>     > suggestions of course!
>     >
>     > Thanks in advance for your help
>     > Ivan
>     >
>     > ______________________________________________
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>     > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>     > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Richard M. Heiberger
Please consider RExcel, which allows complete integration of R and Excel.
See http://rcom.univie.ac.at
for details and examples including a video.
RExcel works in both directions (R to Excel, Excel to R) with
Excel 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2002.

Rich

Re: export tables to Excel files

HrishiMittal
Richard, is it possible to use RExcel under Linux, not to interface with Excel of course but to read and write Excel files?

Re: export tables to Excel files

Richard M. Heiberger
Hrishi,

You can use the beta version of ROoo for Open Office, also available
on the Download tab of rcom.univie.ac.at, to interface with the Open Office
spreadsheet.

RExcel itself uses Microsoft COM for behind-the-scenes communication
and is therefore limited to Microsoft Windows.

The gdata package reads xls files on Linux machines.  It uses perl to
interpret the xls format.
gdata::read.xls         Read Excel files

Rich

Re: export tables to Excel files

HrishiMittal
Thanks Richard. I use gdata to work with xls files, but am looking for something under Linux which can read xlsx files. I'll try ROoo.

Re: export tables to Excel files

Tal Galili
Hi Richard,
Thanks for pointing this out.

BTW - How would you use Rexcel to write several data frames into several
sheets in excel ?

Thanks!

Tal

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Please consider RExcel, which allows complete integration of R and Excel.
> See http://rcom.univie.ac.at
> for details and examples including a video.
> RExcel works in both directions (R to Excel, Excel to R) with
> Excel 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2002.
>
> Rich

Re: export tables to Excel files

Gabor Grothendieck
Note that gdata 2.7.1 can read both xls and xlsx files and is
available on all platforms.

If you have any problems with the CRAN version there is a pointer to
the development version here and also alternative packages such as
xlsx are listed:

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Hrishi Mittal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Richard. I use gdata to work with xls files, but am looking for
> something under Linux which can read xlsx files. I'll try ROoo.
>
> -----
> Try  http://prettygraph.com Pretty Graph , the easiest way to make R-powered
> graphs on the web.

Re: export tables to Excel files

HrishiMittal
Thanks Gabor. I wasn't aware of that. I will upgrade to the latest version of gdata.

Re: export tables to Excel files

Erich Neuwirth
In RExcel, you can write VBA macros to perform R-related function.
A cooked up example (not checked)

Sub TransferFrames()
  MySheetNames = Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2", "Sheet3")
  MyDFNames = Array("mydf1", "mydf2", "mydf3")
  RInterface.StartRServer
  For i = Lbound(MySheetNames) to UBound(MySheetNames)
  RInterface.PutDataframe MyDFNames(i), _
                Worksheets(MySheetNames(i)).Range("A1").CurrentRegion
  Next i
End Sub

This will take the data in the rectangular nonempty range
anchored at cell A1 for the 3 names sheets and transfer them
to R as dataframes with the names given in MyDFNames

On 2/23/2010 10:46 PM, Tal Galili wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> BTW - How would you use Rexcel to write several data frames into several
> sheets in excel ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |
> www.r-statistics.com (English)
>

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Please consider RExcel, which allows complete integration of R and Excel.
>> See http://rcom.univie.ac.at
>> for details and examples including a video.
>> RExcel works in both directions (R to Excel, Excel to R) with
>> Excel 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2002.
>>
>> Rich

Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science
Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at
Phone: +43-1-4277-39464 Fax: +43-1-4277-39459

Re: export tables to Excel files

Erich Neuwirth
OK, I think dirung the disuccion we mixed up the directions of transfer.
The example I sent was Excel -> R
For R -> Excel you need something like

RInterface.GetDataframe "dfname", Worksheets("wsname").Range("A1")

dfname, wsname and the cell refence ("A1")
have to be given for each dataframe you want to transfer.

You need to install RExcel to do this.

CRAN has a package RExcelInstaller
which does everything for you.