flatpak installation package?

Treutwein Bernhard
Is there any chance for a distribution independent flatpak installation package for R ?

See: http://flatpak.org

Background: I recently bought an Acer notebook with endless OS preinstalled
(see: http://endlessos.com).  It is Debian based, but uses only flatpak as installation
package format.

regards
--
  Bernhard Treutwein

Re: flatpak installation package?

Jeff Newmiller
Of course... R _is_ open source. However, it is unwise to assume that the volunteers scratching itches for their preferred distros will take on additional work... it is more likely that you will need to take on scratching that new itch.

On January 16, 2018 7:36:45 AM PST, Treutwein Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there any chance for a distribution independent flatpak installation
>package for R ?
>
>See: http://flatpak.org
>
>Background: I recently bought an Acer notebook with endless OS
>preinstalled
>(see: http://endlessos.com).  It is Debian based, but uses only flatpak
>as installation
>package format.
>
>regards
>--
>  Bernhard Treutwein

Re: flatpak installation package?

Treutwein Bernhard
Hi Jeff,

> it is more likely that you will need to take on scratching that new itch.

thanks. Should I subscribe to the developer list and ask there?

I had a deep look into the Manual "R Installation and Administration", but I
fear that this is too much unknown terrain for me. Let me recall the apparent
advantages of flatpak:

It is a distribution independent package format, where the applications run
in a kind of sandbox. Flatpak is supported by RedHat/Fedora/CentOS/Scientific
Linux as well as Debian/Ubuntu, and Arch. So it might be worth a deeper look.

Regards
--
  Bernhard

See also: https://flatpak.org/getting.html