glm$effects

Cade, Brian
I know I must be missing something obvious, but checking help and googling
a bit did not turn up a useable answer.  When I've estimated a glm() model
object (my example is with just identity link with gaussian family so I
could have used lm() instead), one of the terms returned in the model
object is listed as $effects.  What are these quantities?  I have not been
able to relate them to the $coefficients, $fitted.values, $resid, or $y
completely.  For example, if I estimate the simplest model with just an
intercept term, the $effects for the n observations differ from $y by a
constant quantity except for one of the values.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center