graphics: axis label

Johannes Huesing
Hello,
par(las=1) sets the orientation of the axis labels
to horizontal. That is, the tick mark labels. How
do I set the orientation of the axis label, which
annotates the variable plotted along the axis, to
horizontal?

Sorry for asking such a basic question here, but I
haven't found anything in the description of the
"par"s.

Greetings

Johannes

Re: graphics: axis label

Uwe Ligges
Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> Hello,
> par(las=1) sets the orientation of the axis labels
> to horizontal. That is, the tick mark labels. How
> do I set the orientation of the axis label, which
> annotates the variable plotted along the axis, to
> horizontal?
>
> Sorry for asking such a basic question here, but I
> haven't found anything in the description of the
> "par"s.

You have to use a call to text() and place it into the margins by
specifying, e.g.,
  par(xpd=TRUE)

as in:

   plot(1:10, ylab="")