--gui=Tk window does not stretch (PR#8520)

--gui=Tk window does not stretch (PR#8520)

Greg Kochanski-4
Full_Name: Greg Kochanski
Version: 2.2.0
OS: Debian Linux
Submission from: (NULL) (212.159.16.190)

When you grab the corner of the Tk-R (R's console) window,
the window stretches, but the useable area does not.
It remains firmly fixed at the (rather small) value of
24 lines.

In fact, you end up with a grey border  of wasted pixels
around the active white area that contains the text.

(And, please don't tell me that it's not a bug because
it's been that way for 15 years, or because the S
documentation states that the terminal window is
24 lines high.   That would shatter my dreams
and illusions.)

Re: --gui=Tk window does not stretch (PR#8520)

Peter Dalgaard
[hidden email] writes:

> When you grab the corner of the Tk-R (R's console) window,
> the window stretches, but the useable area does not.
> It remains firmly fixed at the (rather small) value of
> 24 lines.
>
> In fact, you end up with a grey border  of wasted pixels
> around the active white area that contains the text.
>
> (And, please don't tell me that it's not a bug because
> it's been that way for 15 years, or because the S
> documentation states that the terminal window is
> 24 lines high.   That would shatter my dreams
> and illusions.)

It's not a bug, it's an unimplemented feature...

As you're bound to discover, the Tk console is mainly a
proof-of-concept with shortcomings in many other areas as well. It's
been largely undeveloped (as has the Gnome GUI) because we had very
little feedback to indicate that people were actually interested in
getting it to work better. Patches might be considered.

The particular issue is just a matter of sending suitable options to
the Tk geometry manager. This can be fixed in the console.tcl script,
and in fact also from within the running GUI using

with(.GUIenv, tkpack("configure", Term, expand=TRUE, fill="both"))

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45) 35327918

Re: --gui=Tk window does not stretch (PR#8520)

Greg Kochanski-3

Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> As you're bound to discover, the Tk console is mainly a
> proof-of-concept with shortcomings in many other areas as well. It's
> been largely undeveloped (as has the Gnome GUI) because we had very
> little feedback to indicate that people were actually interested in
> getting it to work better. Patches might be considered.

Does that mean "patches will be considered and accepted if they
meet reasonable criteria for simplicity and correctness."
or does it mean something less?