help downloading lme4 from CRAN

Bill Shipley
Hello.  I am having trouble downloading the lme4 package from the CRAN
site.  The error is:

> local({a <- CRAN.packages()
+ install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1],
available=a, dependencies=TRUE)})
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
Content type `text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' length 26129 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 25Kb

also installing the dependencies 'Matrix', 'latticeExtra', 'mlmRev'

trying URL
`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/Matrix_0.95-5.zip'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
        cannot open URL
`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/Matrix_0.95-5.zip'
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'

Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong?

Bill Shipley

North American Editor, Annals of Botany

Editor, "Population and Community Biology" series, Springer Publishing

Département de biologie, Université de Sherbrooke,

Sherbrooke (Québec) J1K 2R1 CANADA

[hidden email]

http://callisto.si.usherb.ca:8080/bshipley/

Re: help downloading lme4 from CRAN

Uwe Ligges
Bill Shipley wrote:

> Hello.  I am having trouble downloading the lme4 package from the CRAN
> site.  The error is:
>

>>local({a <- CRAN.packages()
>
> + install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1],
> available=a, dependencies=TRUE)})
> trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> Content type `text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' length 26129 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 25Kb
>
> also installing the dependencies 'Matrix', 'latticeExtra', 'mlmRev'
>
> trying URL
> `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/Matrix_0.95-5.zip'
> Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>         cannot open URL
> `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/Matrix_0.95-5.zip'
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'
>
> Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong?

You wrong: please upgrade to R-2.2.1!
The 2.0.x repository is no longer supported (nor the 2.1.x one!)

I wrong: Hmmm, looks like I forgot to finally sync the 2.0 directory
after moving to newer versions.
The last Matrix version is available from
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/last/Matrix_0.95-5.zip
(you can install it manually, for example).

Uwe Ligges