history of objects() and ls()

bbolker

  I found out today (maybe I had known sometime before??) that objects()
is a synonym for ls().  I'm curious about the history, which seems to go
at least back to the beginning of R.  It's been thus since SVN revision
2 (Sep 1997) ...

svn cat https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/base/R/attach@2 |
grep objects

  I had a quick look at the Becker & Chambers brown book (1984) and
Becker and Wilks blue book (1988) on Google books and could find ls but
not objects() ... ?

  Anyone happen to know?

 cheers
   Ben Bolker

Re: history of objects() and ls()

Peter Dalgaard-2
As far as I remember, this comes from S-PLUS, introduced around v.3 (white book?) or maybe v.4, and due to a desire to cut some Unix ties as MS-DOS was taking over the world. However, it was long ago, in a different world, and besides, S-PLUS is dead (mostly).

- Peter

> On 4 Jan 2019, at 00:45 , Ben Bolker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>  I found out today (maybe I had known sometime before??) that objects()
> is a synonym for ls().  I'm curious about the history, which seems to go
> at least back to the beginning of R.  It's been thus since SVN revision
> 2 (Sep 1997) ...
>
> svn cat https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/base/R/attach@2 |
> grep objects
>
>  I had a quick look at the Becker & Chambers brown book (1984) and
> Becker and Wilks blue book (1988) on Google books and could find ls but
> not objects() ... ?
>
>  Anyone happen to know?
>
> cheers
>   Ben Bolker

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: history of objects() and ls()

R devel mailing list
S-PLUS took it from S, sometime in the early 1990's.  The "White Book"
("Statistical Models in S", Chambers and Hastie, eds.,1992), uses objects()
on p.88..

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com