how can I use lmer on a windows machine?

how can I use lmer on a windows machine?

Feldman, Tracy
To whom it may concern:

I am using R version 1.9.1 beta on a windows machine, and I am trying to
use a function called lmer (in packages lme4 and Matrix).  I am not sure
if this version will support these packages (when I install them from
the GUI, the function lmer does not work).  I wondered if I need to
install a newer version of R, and if so, which version should I install,
and how should I do that?

Thank you so much for your time and help.  Please send replies to
[hidden email]

Take care,
Tracy S. Feldman

Postdoc
Noble Foundation

Re: how can I use lmer on a windows machine?

Doran, Harold
It will not work. You'll need to upgrade to the most recent version on
CRAN. Lme() will work, though

Re: how can I use lmer on a windows machine?

Prof Brian Ripley
Well, as you are using a beta version of a version of R released in June
2004, you certainly should upgrade. (Indeed the R posting guide asked you
to do so before posting the first time.)

You should probably install R-patched from

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rpatched.html

or your nearest CRAN mirror (we have no idea where you are).  You install
that the same way you installed the current version: double clicking on
the installer .exe should be all that is needed.