how to search r-help?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

how to search r-help?

R help mailing list-2
I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people use
to search the help archives?

 1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
    returns a 404 error.
 2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
    don't see how to search r-help from there.
 3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site seems
    to stop back in December 2007.
 4. I cannot get anything useful from
    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.

Thanks.

- Mark Dwyer


        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

R help mailing list-2
Also https://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html indicates that
RSiteSearch() within R searches R-help but in my install (3.4.3)
RSiteSearch() only searches  "help pages, vignettes or taskviews"


On 19/01/18 10:47, Mark Dwyer wrote:

>
> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people
> use to search the help archives?
>
>  1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>     returns a 404 error.
>  2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>     don't see how to search r-help from there.
>  3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site
>     seems to stop back in December 2007.
>  4. I cannot get anything useful from
>     http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Mark Dwyer
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

David Winsemius

> On Jan 19, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also https://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html indicates that RSiteSearch() within R searches R-help but in my install (3.4.3) RSiteSearch() only searches  "help pages, vignettes or taskviews"
>
>
> On 19/01/18 10:47, Mark Dwyer wrote:
>>
>> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people use to search the help archives?
>>
>> 1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>>    returns a 404 error.
>> 2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>>    don't see how to search r-help from there.
>> 3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site
>>    seems to stop back in December 2007.
>> 4. I cannot get anything useful from
>>    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.

For R-help I've been using:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help

To find documentation, I use:

install.packages("sos")
library(sos)
findFn("topic items")

You could conceivably use Googles advanced search with the site set to the "true" Archives.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=words+to+search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=https%3A%2F%2Fstat.ethz.ch%2Fpipermail%2Fr-help%2F&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

Bert Gunter-2
In reply to this post by R help mailing list-2
Googling "r-help archive"   (!!)

brought up this:

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-help-f789696.html


-- Bert



Bert Gunter

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and
sticking things into it."
-- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Mark Dwyer via R-help <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people use
> to search the help archives?
>
>  1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>     returns a 404 error.
>  2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>     don't see how to search r-help from there.
>  3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site seems
>     to stop back in December 2007.
>  4. I cannot get anything useful from
>     http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Mark Dwyer
>
>
>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/
> posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

Marc Schwartz-3
In reply to this post by R help mailing list-2
> On Jan 19, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people use
> to search the help archives?
>
> 1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>    returns a 404 error.
> 2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>    don't see how to search r-help from there.
> 3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site seems
>    to stop back in December 2007.
> 4. I cannot get anything useful from
>    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Mark Dwyer


Hi Mark,

On the main R Project page (https://www.r-project.org) is a link menu on the left hand side, where one of the entries is "Search", which takes you to:

  https://www.r-project.org/search.html

On that page, one of the links is to rseek.org, which is the page that I use and have used for a number of years. It searches various locations of the R list archives and other online resources. Once you run a keyword search, if you select the "Support" tab, it will filter the search results to online documents and the list archives. The list archives will tend to be either from the Nabble site, which mirrors a subset of list archives, or from https://stat.ethz.ch which is the official R list archive server for all R lists.

Depending upon the keyword search, you may find that the list archive hits will be interspersed with other online resources, with a bias towards one or the other based upon the underlying Google algorithms being used.

Also, as an additional pointer, on the main R Project page is a link to "Getting Help", which takes you to:

  https://www.r-project.org/help.html

and provides a series of pointers relative to seeking help with R.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

JohnDee
In reply to this post by R help mailing list-2
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:47:56 -0800
Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people
> use to search the help archives?
>
>  1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>     returns a 404 error.
>  2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>     don't see how to search r-help from there.
>  3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site
> seems to stop back in December 2007.
>  4. I cannot get anything useful from
>     http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>
> Thanks.
>

Just about any question you can imagine for R has been asked usually
several times.  Since you don't explain what specifically you are
looking for help with, the best start is to go to the
https://www.r-project.org/help.html page and start with those
suggestions.  Nabble is another good choice, and simply entering "r
[topic]" in a search engine will usually yield hundreds of results.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

R help mailing list-2
Thank you all for these suggestions. The nabble and markmail links are
focus(able) on r-help and easy (for me) to use.

- Mark


On 19/01/18 14:04, John wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:47:56 -0800
> Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people
>> use to search the help archives?
>>
>>   1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
>>      returns a 404 error.
>>   2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
>>      don't see how to search r-help from there.
>>   3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site
>> seems to stop back in December 2007.
>>   4. I cannot get anything useful from
>>      http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Just about any question you can imagine for R has been asked usually
> several times.  Since you don't explain what specifically you are
> looking for help with, the best start is to go to the
> https://www.r-project.org/help.html page and start with those
> suggestions.  Nabble is another good choice, and simply entering "r
> [topic]" in a search engine will usually yield hundreds of results.
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

Sarah Goslee
rseek.org is also very helpful.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 6:00 PM Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you all for these suggestions. The nabble and markmail links are
> focus(able) on r-help and easy (for me) to use.
>
> - Mark
>
>
> On 19/01/18 14:04, John wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:47:56 -0800
> > Mark Dwyer via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I am new to this listand am unable to get the search tools listed on
> >> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help towork. What do people
> >> use to search the help archives?
> >>
> >>   1. The google search box on http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/
> >>      returns a 404 error.
> >>   2. The http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/ site has many references but I
> >>      don't see how to search r-help from there.
> >>   3. The http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../ site
> >> seems to stop back in December 2007.
> >>   4. I cannot get anything useful from
> >>      http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> > Just about any question you can imagine for R has been asked usually
> > several times.  Since you don't explain what specifically you are
> > looking for help with, the best start is to go to the
> > https://www.r-project.org/help.html page and start with those
> > suggestions.  Nabble is another good choice, and simply entering "r
> > [topic]" in a search engine will usually yield hundreds of results.
> >
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide
> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>
--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.stringpage.com
http://www.sarahgoslee.com
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: how to search r-help?

José María Mateos-2
In reply to this post by R help mailing list-2
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:47:56AM -0800, Mark Dwyer via R-help wrote:
>  4. I cannot get anything useful from
>     http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general.

If I understood correctly a recent discussion on another mailing list,
gmane.org web interface is broken, but will work if you use
news.gmane.org using your news reader, if you use one. That won't solve
your search problem, but just saying.

Cheers,

JMM.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.