inappropriate warning in latticeExtra

Richard M. Heiberger
The warning message in the last line of this email is incorrect.
This is behavior which Duncan Murdoch labeled a bug in
   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2017-December/450494.html

This is a fresh install of R-devel (2018-03-21 r74436)

R Under development (unstable) (2018-03-21 r74436) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Copyright (C) 2018 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(latticeExtra)
Error in library(latticeExtra) :
  there is no package called ‘latticeExtra’
> install.packages("latticeExtra")
Warning in install.packages("latticeExtra") :
  'lib = "C:/Program Files/R/R-devel/library"' is not writable
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
also installing the dependency ‘RColorBrewer’

Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/3.5:
  cannot open URL
'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/PACKAGES'
trying URL 'https://cran.wu.ac.at/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/RColorBrewer_1.1-2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 55444 bytes (54 KB)
downloaded 54 KB

trying URL 'https://cran.wu.ac.at/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/latticeExtra_0.6-28.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 2191524 bytes (2.1 MB)
downloaded 2.1 MB

package ‘RColorBrewer’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘latticeExtra’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\rmh.DESKTOP-60G4CCO\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpqA7Rqg\downloaded_packages
> library(latticeExtra)
> a <- xyplot(1 ~ 1)
> c(a,a)
Warning message:
In formals(fun) : argument is not a function

Re: inappropriate warning in latticeExtra

Deepayan Sarkar
On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 7:58 AM, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The warning message in the last line of this email is incorrect.
> This is behavior which Duncan Murdoch labeled a bug in
>    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2017-December/450494.html

Yes, sorry, this has been fixed in the r-forge sources for a while
now, but I haven't had the time to finish up some other fixes and push
an update to CRAN.

Hopefully over the summer break.

Regards,
-Deepayan