internet routines cannot be loaded, R 3.5.0

internet routines cannot be loaded, R 3.5.0

LMHmedchem
Hello,

I recently upgraded my version of R and find I need to reinstall packages
(unless there is some method to import my old profile and files). I have set
my repository to CRAN and set my CRAN mirror to US, NY. If I select
"packages > install packages" in the R console, I get a message, "no
packages were specified". I thought this command gave me a list of packages
available to install.

If I select, "packages > update packages", I get the message,

Warning: unable to access index for repository
https://mirrors.sorengard.com/cran/src/contrib:
  internet routines cannot be loaded
Error in gzfile(file, mode) : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In gzfile(file, mode) :
  cannot open compressed file
'C:\DOCUME~1\BASIC_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtmpqiUPQX/libloc_185_34943e0b.rds',
probable reason 'No such file or directory'

I have done a search on, "internet routines cannot be loaded" and don't find
anything that looks relevant.

i have installed some packages manually from local zip files, but many
packages have a large number of dependencies and it would take forever to
download them all.

Can someone help me to get this working?

Thanks,

LMH

Re: internet routines cannot be loaded, R 3.5.0

Sarah Goslee
Hi,

install.packages() will install packages you specify,

update.packages(ask = FALSE, checkBuilt = TRUE)

is a useful way to update all installed packages after a major R update.

Your specific error message is probably because the sorengard mirror is down:

https://cran.r-project.org/mirmon_report.html#us

Pick a different mirror, and it should work.

Sarah

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:27 PM, LMH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my version of R and find I need to reinstall packages
> (unless there is some method to import my old profile and files). I have set
> my repository to CRAN and set my CRAN mirror to US, NY. If I select
> "packages > install packages" in the R console, I get a message, "no
> packages were specified". I thought this command gave me a list of packages
> available to install.
>
> If I select, "packages > update packages", I get the message,
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> https://mirrors.sorengard.com/cran/src/contrib:
>   internet routines cannot be loaded
> Error in gzfile(file, mode) : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In gzfile(file, mode) :
>   cannot open compressed file
> 'C:\DOCUME~1\BASIC_~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtmpqiUPQX/libloc_185_34943e0b.rds',
> probable reason 'No such file or directory'
>
> I have done a search on, "internet routines cannot be loaded" and don't find
> anything that looks relevant.
>
> i have installed some packages manually from local zip files, but many
> packages have a large number of dependencies and it would take forever to
> download them all.
>
> Can someone help me to get this working?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LMH

Re: internet routines cannot be loaded, R 3.5.0

S Ellison-2
> If I select
> "packages > install packages" in the R console, I get a message, "no
> packages were specified". I thought this command gave me a list of packages
> available to install.

You are thinking of the command line function "installed.packages", not the menu function or the package installation function "install.packages"

The latter needs a list of packages to install. The former tells you what is already installed.

S Ellison