large lines of data

Sara Mouro
Dear All,

I have to enter many lines of data in the same object.

I usually use copy-paste to transfer data from an Word file to R.

But, for large lines of data, R gets "confused" and gives an error message,
i.e. it breaks one line somewhere, and lines get no meaning at all.

Some times I solve that problem adding "enters" and making each line
shorter, before I do copy-paste. Some times I add "spaces" in the word
document, until R breaks each line (automatically adds a +) in any point
where it still correct..

But it stills too "subjective" for me!   :o\

What is the best way to do that?

Regards,

Sara Mouro

Re: large lines of data

Sean Davis

On 2/8/06 6:55 AM, "Sara Mouro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I have to enter many lines of data in the same object.
>
> I usually use copy-paste to transfer data from an Word file to R.
>
> But, for large lines of data, R gets "confused" and gives an error message,
> i.e. it breaks one line somewhere, and lines get no meaning at all.
>

> Some times I solve that problem adding "enters" and making each line
> shorter, before I do copy-paste. Some times I add "spaces" in the word
> document, until R breaks each line (automatically adds a +) in any point
> where it still correct..
>
> But it stills too "subjective" for me!   :o\
>

> What is the best way to do that?

I assume you mean that you are editing "code" and then pasting into R.  If
so, you might look into using one of several editors that "work with" R.
Look in the mail archives for some of these.

Sean

Re: large lines of data

barry rowlingson
Sara Mouro wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I have to enter many lines of data in the same object.
>
> I usually use copy-paste to transfer data from an Word file to R.
>

> What is the best way to do that?

  Use 'Save As' to save your Word file - or rather just the data section
- as a plain text or Ascii file. Then read into R with scan() or
read.table() as appropriate.

Barry

Re: large lines of data

Adaikalavan Ramasamy
How does the data look and how are you storing in R (e.g. matrix, list)?

I think this an issue related to Word where it is using either unequal
spaces or different carriage returns. I would not recommend storing
data, especially numerical ones in the form of a matrix, in Word files.

I would recommend that you try to copy-and-paste into Excel first and
clean it up there. Next save the file as tab delimited and use
read.delim() in R.

My experience is that that Excel seems understands the oddities of Word
better than R does.

Regards, Adai