large number of scrollable histograms....

large number of scrollable histograms....

akshay kulkarni
dear members,
                            I am a day trader based in INDIA. I use R for my research.

I have about 200 vectors whose histograms I need to inspect. I have to compare them simultaneously.

I know methods whereby you can plot multiple histograms on one screen. However, you can clearly view only 4 to 5  histograms in one screen.

Is there a way to construct a long list of all the 100 histograms that can be scrollable (like you scroll up or down the R console) both downwards and upwards? Any package to that effect?

I would be highly grateful, also, if you can offer any suggestions or "out of the box" ideas to simultaneously compare all the 100 histograms.

very many thanks for your help and support..
yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI

Re: large number of scrollable histograms....

PIKAL Petr
Hi

what about to create all histograms in pdf device?

see
?pdf

Cheers
Petr

Osobní údaje: Informace o zpracování a ochraně osobních údajů obchodních partnerů PRECHEZA a.s. jsou zveřejněny na: https://www.precheza.cz/zasady-ochrany-osobnich-udaju/ | Information about processing and protection of business partner’s personal data are available on website: https://www.precheza.cz/en/personal-data-protection-principles/
Důvěrnost: Tento e-mail a jakékoliv k němu připojené dokumenty jsou důvěrné a podléhají tomuto právně závaznému prohláąení o vyloučení odpovědnosti: https://www.precheza.cz/01-dovetek/ | This email and any documents attached to it may be confidential and are subject to the legally binding disclaimer: https://www.precheza.cz/en/01-disclaimer/

Re: large number of scrollable histograms....

Eric Berger
Another alternative is to use ggplot2 to create the various plots, then put
them into
a list and use cowplot::plot_grid to plot the grid of plots with a
specified number of
rows and columns. Here's some pseudo code to give you the general idea

Step 1: generate the plots and put them into a list
for ( i in 1:(nrow*ncol) )
   pL[[ i ]] <- ggplot( ... )

Step 2: display the plots in a grid
print( cowplot::plot_grid( plotlist=pL, nrow=nrow, ncol=ncol ) )

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 3:49 PM PIKAL Petr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> what about to create all histograms in pdf device?
>
> see
> ?pdf
>
> Cheers
> Petr

Enrico Schumann-2

    akshay> dear members,

    akshay> I am a day trader based in INDIA. I use R for my research.

    akshay> I have about 200 vectors whose histograms I need to
    akshay> inspect. I have to compare them simultaneously.

    akshay> I know methods whereby you can plot multiple histograms on
    akshay> one screen. However, you can clearly view only 4 to 5
    akshay> histograms in one screen.

    akshay> Is there a way to construct a long list of all the 100
    akshay> histograms that can be scrollable (like you scroll up or
    akshay> down the R console) both downwards and upwards? Any package
    akshay> to that effect?

    akshay> I would be highly grateful, also, if you can offer any
    akshay> suggestions or "out of the box" ideas to simultaneously
    akshay> compare all the 100 histograms.

    akshay> very many thanks for your help and support..
    akshay> yours sincerely,
    akshay> AKSHAY M KULKARNI

Just two thoughts:

1) You could plot all histograms into one pdf and
   scroll the PDF.

2) Do you need histograms? Boxplots for instance need
   less space (and if you sort the input data by
   median, say, they often help much better to see
   differences between samples); or use similar plots such
   as quartile plots
   (e.g. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/NMOF/vignettes/qTableEx.pdf ).

kind regards
     Enrico

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland

Re: large number of scrollable histograms....

Jeff Newmiller
You can use knitr (child documents) with rmarkdown to generate an html file containing many htmlwidgets. There are many htmlwidgets you can choose from, see [1]. You can also use htmlwidgets with shiny if you prefer, though I don't know if you can get the many plots simultaneously with shiny.

Some htmlwidgets even support linkage between the plots, so if you scroll or zoom through the x-axis on one, the others can adjust similarly.

[1] http://gallery.htmlwidgets.org

On January 22, 2019 5:20:35 AM PST, akshay kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>dear members,
>             I am a day trader based in INDIA. I use R for my research.
>
>I have about 200 vectors whose histograms I need to inspect. I have to
>compare them simultaneously.
>
>I know methods whereby you can plot multiple histograms on one screen.
>However, you can clearly view only 4 to 5  histograms in one screen.
>
>Is there a way to construct a long list of all the 100 histograms that
>can be scrollable (like you scroll up or down the R console) both
>downwards and upwards? Any package to that effect?
>
>I would be highly grateful, also, if you can offer any suggestions or
>"out of the box" ideas to simultaneously compare all the 100
>histograms.
>
>very many thanks for your help and support..
>yours sincerely,
>AKSHAY M KULKARNI

Re: large number of scrollable histograms....

akshay kulkarni
dear pikal,
                    Thanks for the suggestion....
I have checked ?pdf.  The syntax is:

> pdf("sample.pdf", 7, 5)
> hist(vector1)
> dev.off()

So, I surmise that instead of one hist function in the second line, if I include multiple histograms through a loop, it would write ALL histograms to sample.pdf (something like this):

> pdf("sample.pdf", 7, 5)
> histlist
> dev.off()

> histlist <- function(){ for( i in 1:length(L)){histlist[[i]] <- hist(L[[i]]}; return(histlist)}

Am I right? Would this pdf document(sample.pdf)  be scrollable?

very many thanks for your time....
yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI

________________________________

Osobn� �daje: Informace o zpracov�n� a ochran� osobn�ch �daj� obchodn�ch partner� PRECHEZA a.s. jsou zve�ejn�ny na: https://www.precheza.cz/zasady-ochrany-osobnich-udaju/ | Information about processing and protection of business partner�s personal data are available on website: https://www.precheza.cz/en/personal-data-protection-principles/
D�v�rnost: Tento e-mail a jak�koliv k n�mu p�ipojen� dokumenty jsou d�v�rn� a podl�haj� tomuto pr�vn� z�vazn�mu prohl�en� o vylou�en� odpov�dnosti: https://www.precheza.cz/01-dovetek/ | This email and any documents attached to it may be confidential and are subject to the legally binding disclaimer: https://www.precheza.cz/en/01-disclaimer/

Re: large number of scrollable histograms....

PIKAL Petr
Hi

Yes, you should get multipage pdf, each page populated by single call to plot function.

However I am not sur if your proposal with function will work.

I usually do simply

pdf("sample.pdf", 7, 5)

for (i in 1:n) {

hist(L[[i]])

}

dev.off()

Cheers
Petr

So, I surmise that instead of one hist function in the second line, if I include multiple histograms through a loop, it would write ALL histograms to sample.pdf (something like this):

> pdf("sample.pdf", 7, 5)

> histlist

> dev.off()

> histlist <- function(){ for( i in 1:length(L)){histlist[[i]] <- hist(L[[i]]}; return(histlist)}

Am I right? Would this pdf document(sample.pdf)  be scrollable?

very many thanks for your time....
yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI

________________________________
what about to create all histograms in pdf device?

see
?pdf

Cheers
Petr

                    Thanks a lot.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very many thanks for your time and effort...
Yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI

________________________________

So, I surmise that instead of one hist function in the second line, if I include multiple histograms through a loop, it would write ALL histograms to sample.pdf (something like this):

> pdf("sample.pdf", 7, 5)

> histlist

> dev.off()

> histlist <- function(){ for( i in 1:length(L)){histlist[[i]] <- hist(L[[i]]}; return(histlist)}

Am I right? Would this pdf document(sample.pdf)  be scrollable?

very many thanks for your time....

yours sincerely,

AKSHAY M KULKARNI

________________________________

what about to create all histograms in pdf device?

see
?pdf

Cheers
Petr

Bill Poling
Hi akshay Kulkarni, I just worked through this great tutorial the other day, hope this helps!

WHP

https://www.r-bloggers.com/how-to-combine-multiple-ggplot-plots-to-make-publication-ready-plots/

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 3:49 PM PIKAL Petr <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> what about to create all histograms in pdf device?
>
> see
> ?pdf
>
> Cheers
> Petr

Confidentiality Notice This message is sent from Zelis. This transmission may contain information which is privileged and confidential and is intended for the personal and confidential use of the named recipient only. Such information may be protected by applicable State and Federal laws from this disclosure or unauthorized use. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, review, discussion, copying, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately. Zelis, 2018.