.leap.seconds

McGehee, Robert
I glanced at the .leap.seconds object and noticed that it has not been
updated for the most recent leap second that occurred 2005 December 31,
23h 59m 60s. See the IERS bulletin here:
http://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.dat

Moreover, after a more careful glance at the .leap.seconds object, I
noticed that there are two incorrect entries. First, there was not a
leap second on 1986 June 30, and second there was a leap second that was
omitted on 1982 June 30.

For a list of past offsets see this IERS table:
http://www.iers.org/MainDisp.csl?pid=95-106

Best,
Robert

> version
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status   Patched
major    2
minor    2.1
year     2006
month    01
day      07
svn rev  37024
language R

Robert McGehee
Quantitative Analyst
Geode Capital Management, LLC
53 State Street, 5th Floor | Boston, MA | 02109
Tel: 617/392-8396    Fax:617/476-6389
mailto:[hidden email]

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for us...{{dropped}}

Re: .leap.seconds

Brian Ripley
You don't seriously expect R 2.2.1 to know about events after its release
do you?  And as the new leap second is not a bug, it will not go into a
patched version.

I have been looking into this for R-devel, but there is a lot more to it.
We really need consistency with the OS, and as this leap second was not
even announced until 2005-07-04, probably most R platforms will not know
about it.  Some systems count leapseconds in their clock time, but most do
not: see ?DateTimeClasses.  So we need to find out if the OS knows about
this leap second when we make internal adjustments, and even that is
tricky as e.g. FC3 as originally shipped does not but the latest patched
glibc does.  I am not convinced I have a good enough solution as yet.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, McGehee, Robert wrote:

> I glanced at the .leap.seconds object and noticed that it has not been
> updated for the most recent leap second that occurred 2005 December 31,
> 23h 59m 60s. See the IERS bulletin here:
> http://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/bulletinc.dat
>
> Moreover, after a more careful glance at the .leap.seconds object, I
> noticed that there are two incorrect entries. First, there was not a
> leap second on 1986 June 30, and second there was a leap second that was
> omitted on 1982 June 30.

A (harmless) typo.