lmer and handling heteroscedasticity

Leo Gürtler
Dear altogether,

is it possible to integrate "weights" arguments within lmer to
incorporate statements to handle heteroscedasticity as it is possible
with lme?
I searched the R-archive but found nothing, insofer I assume it is not
possible, but as lmer is under heavy develpoment, maybe something
changed or is solved differently.

Thus my question:

While encountering heavy heteroscedasticity within data, lmer is not the
right application to use, but use instead lme?

Thanks in advance for a short statement,

best ,
leo

--

email: [hidden email]
www: http://www.anicca-vijja.de/

Re: lmer and handling heteroscedasticity

Douglas Bates
On 1/14/06, Leo Gürtler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear altogether,
>
> is it possible to integrate "weights" arguments within lmer to
> incorporate statements to handle heteroscedasticity as it is possible
> with lme?
> I searched the R-archive but found nothing, insofer I assume it is not
> possible, but as lmer is under heavy develpoment, maybe something
> changed or is solved differently.
>
> Thus my question:
>
> While encountering heavy heteroscedasticity within data, lmer is not the
> right application to use, but use instead lme?

Yes.

> Thanks in advance for a short statement,

I hope that was short enough :-)