Klaus Michael Keller
Dear all,

I just installed the "Short Summer" R update last week. Now, my R Studio doesn't open anymore!

--> <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated.

and my R terminal doesn't close properly

--> *** caught illegal operation ***

I restarted my Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and reinstalled both R 3.4.2 and the latest R studio but the problem persists.

How can that issue be solved?

Thanks in advance for your a precious help!

All the best from Switzerland,

Klaus

Re: <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated. + *** caught illegal operation ***

Eric Berger
How about going back to earlier versions if you don't need the latest ones?

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Klaus Michael Keller <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just installed the "Short Summer" R update last week. Now, my R Studio
> doesn't open anymore!
>
> --> <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated.
>
> and my R terminal doesn't close properly
>
> --> *** caught illegal operation ***
>
> I restarted my Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and reinstalled both R 3.4.2 and the
> latest R studio but the problem persists.
>
> How can that issue be solved?
>
> Thanks in advance for your a precious help!
>
> All the best from Switzerland,
>
> Klaus

> posting-guide.html

Re: <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated. + *** caught illegal operation ***

DavidBarron
I've seen similar issues reported on the RStudio community site:
https://community.rstudio.com/.  You might want to check in there, as I
think this may well be an RStudio issue rather than a problem with R itself.

Dave

On 26 October 2017 at 12:11, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about going back to earlier versions if you don't need the latest ones?
>

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Klaus Michael Keller <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I just installed the "Short Summer" R update last week. Now, my R Studio
> > doesn't open anymore!
> >
> > --> <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated.
> >
> > and my R terminal doesn't close properly
> >
> > --> *** caught illegal operation ***
> >
> > I restarted my Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and reinstalled both R 3.4.2 and the
> > latest R studio but the problem persists.
> >
> > How can that issue be solved?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your a precious help!
> >
> > All the best from Switzerland,
> >
> > Klaus

> > posting-guide.html

> posting-guide.html

Re: <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated. + *** caught illegal operation ***

Peter Dalgaard-2
Also, check whether R runs standalone, either as Rgui or in Terminal.app (just start Terminal and type "R" if you haven't tried it before.)

-pd

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 14:57 , David Barron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've seen similar issues reported on the RStudio community site:
> https://community.rstudio.com/.  You might want to check in there, as I
> think this may well be an RStudio issue rather than a problem with R itself.
>
> Dave
>
> On 26 October 2017 at 12:11, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How about going back to earlier versions if you don't need the latest ones?
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Klaus Michael Keller <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I just installed the "Short Summer" R update last week. Now, my R Studio
>>> doesn't open anymore!
>>>
>>> --> <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated.
>>>
>>> and my R terminal doesn't close properly
>>>
>>> --> *** caught illegal operation ***
>>>
>>> I restarted my Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and reinstalled both R 3.4.2 and the
>>> latest R studio but the problem persists.
>>>
>>> How can that issue be solved?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your a precious help!
>>>
>>> All the best from Switzerland,
>>>
>>> Klaus

>>> posting-guide.html

>> posting-guide.html

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: <p>R encountered a fatal error. </p> The session was terminated. + *** caught illegal operation ***

Peter Dalgaard-2
Just tried upgrading on this machine (better late than never...) R gave no apparetn problems, either standalone or in RStudio 1.0.143. Newest RStudio gives me a strange warning on startup:

Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called ‘.GlobalEnv’

but appears to run sanely otherwise.

(Looks like I had a script window looking at a function in .GlobalEnv which was no longer there. Closing the script seems to have cured the problem.)

-pd

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 15:04 , peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, check whether R runs standalone, either as Rgui or in Terminal.app (just start Terminal and type "R" if you haven't tried it before.)
>
> -pd
>
>> On 26 Oct 2017, at 14:57 , David Barron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen similar issues reported on the RStudio community site:
>> https://community.rstudio.com/.  You might want to check in there, as I
>> think this may well be an RStudio issue rather than a problem with R itself.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 26 October 2017 at 12:11, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> How about going back to earlier versions if you don't need the latest ones?

>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>>> posting-guide.html
>>>

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,