memory profiling

Threaded

memory profiling

Roger D. Peng
I'm interested in playing around with memory profiling in R-devel (as described
at http://developer.r-project.org/memory-profiling.html) and was trying to
figure out how to compile R-devel so that I can use the 'tracemem()' function.
But I can't figure out how/where to set R_MEMORY_PROFILING.  Is it on the
configure command line?

Thanks for any help,
-roger
--
Roger D. Peng  |  http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/

Threaded

Re: memory profiling

Prof Brian Ripley
On Fri, 26 May 2006, Roger D. Peng wrote:

> I'm interested in playing around with memory profiling in R-devel (as described
> at http://developer.r-project.org/memory-profiling.html) and was trying to
> figure out how to compile R-devel so that I can use the 'tracemem()' function.
> But I can't figure out how/where to set R_MEMORY_PROFILING.  Is it on the
> configure command line?

I added -DR_MEMORY_PROFILING to CFLAGS in config.site.  An alternative is
to add this to DEFS in Makeconf after configuring.

Probably in due course there will be a way to do it via configure and
config.h, but I do not see one.

Threaded

Re: memory profiling

Thomas Lumley
On Fri, 26 May 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2006, Roger D. Peng wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in playing around with memory profiling in R-devel (as described
>> at http://developer.r-project.org/memory-profiling.html) and was trying to
>> figure out how to compile R-devel so that I can use the 'tracemem()' function.
>> But I can't figure out how/where to set R_MEMORY_PROFILING.  Is it on the
>> configure command line?
>
> I added -DR_MEMORY_PROFILING to CFLAGS in config.site.  An alternative is
> to add this to DEFS in Makeconf after configuring.
>
> Probably in due course there will be a way to do it via configure and
> config.h, but I do not see one.

Yes, adding the -DR_MEMORY_PROFILING to CFLAGS is the intended way to do
it at the moment. In due course there will be a configure option, but
definitely not until after useR.

  -thomas