newbie where to look question

mark leeds-4
I don't want to bother anyone
with specific questions
because I am a R newbie and
I see that there is TON ( emphasis on
Ton ) of documentation
out there but could
someone just tell me the
best placed to look/read
for learning about ( for R-2-2.1 in Windows )

.Rprofile
.REnviron.
.Rdata

.First function ( analogous to the one in Splus ).

Analog of Splus Chapter

Basically, I want to learn how to start R so that
my own source code and various
packages are already available when
I start up and how to make separate .Data ( I used to
do this in Splus with Splus Chapter ) directories etc.

I am willing to fight through it and try to figure it out
myself but there's so much stuff on the net in terms
of threads etc that I might be helped by knowing the best
place to start to learn. Thanks.

                         Mark

Re: newbie where to look question

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 3 January 2006 at 22:56, Mark Leeds wrote:
| out there but could
| someone just tell me the
| best placed to look/read
| for learning about ( for R-2-2.1 in Windows )
|
| .Rprofile
| .REnviron.
| .Rdata

?Startup

| .First function ( analogous to the one in Splus ).

?.First

| Analog of Splus Chapter

Not sure. Running

        RSiteSearch("S-Plus Chapter")

leads to the R Data Import/Export manual, and

        RSiteSearch("SPlus Chapter")

has some hits too.

| Basically, I want to learn how to start R so that
| my own source code and various
| packages are already available when
| I start up and how to make separate .Data ( I used to
| do this in Splus with Splus Chapter ) directories etc.

That's done a little differently here but I do not know of a good migration
guide for users with prior S-Plus experience.

Hth, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: newbie where to look question

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 22:56 -0500, Mark Leeds wrote:

> I don't want to bother anyone
> with specific questions
> because I am a R newbie and
> I see that there is TON ( emphasis on
> Ton ) of documentation
> out there but could
> someone just tell me the
> best placed to look/read
> for learning about ( for R-2-2.1 in Windows )
>
> .Rprofile
> .REnviron.
> .Rdata
>
> .First function ( analogous to the one in Splus ).
>
> Analog of Splus Chapter
>
> Basically, I want to learn how to start R so that
> my own source code and various
> packages are already available when
> I start up and how to make separate .Data ( I used to
> do this in Splus with Splus Chapter ) directories etc.
>
> I am willing to fight through it and try to figure it out
> myself but there's so much stuff on the net in terms
> of threads etc that I might be helped by knowing the best
> place to start to learn. Thanks.

Mark,

One of the best places to start looking is actually the R e-mail list
Posting Guide, for which there is a link at the bottom of every e-mail
that comes through the list:

  http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html

Much of what you want to cover is in An Introduction to R, which is
available from the menus in the Windows version or online at the main R
web site under Manuals.

Additional information on your specific questions are available
using ?Startup and ?.First from within an R session.

For Chapters, see ?save and ?load, which I believe will provide for
parallel functionality in a fashion.

The main R FAQ:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html

and the R Windows FAQ:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html

are good resources as well. If you are transitioning from S-PLUS, you
might want to pay particular attention to section 3.3 of the main R FAQ
on the differences between R and S-PLUS.

Finally, thanks to Andy Liaw and Jon Baron, there is there RSiteSearch()
function, which will enable you to search the e-mail list archives and
documentation online from within an R session. See ?RSiteSearch.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz