Quantcast

nice report generator?

123

nice report generator?

LosemindL
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
think that are currently available?

i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
report to send to bosses?

thanks a lot!

Re: nice report generator?

Steve Lianoglou-6
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
> think that are currently available?
>
> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
> report to send to bosses?

Perhaps you should turn your analysis into a Sweave document?

There are many refs you can follow up on Sweave online -- here's one:

http://www.stat.uni-muenchen.de/~leisch/Sweave/

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou

Re: nice report generator?

Sarah Goslee
Sweave.

Or ODFWeave, if Sweave/LaTeX are too much overhead.

But really, it depends on what kind of report output you need to
deliver. Printed? HTML? PDF?

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: nice report generator?

Janko Thyson-2
I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
http://yihui.github.com/knitr/

On 07.12.2011 19:19, Sarah Goslee wrote:

> Sweave.
>
> Or ODFWeave, if Sweave/LaTeX are too much overhead.
>
> But really, it depends on what kind of report output you need to
> deliver. Printed? HTML? PDF?
>
> Sarah
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Michael<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
>> think that are currently available?
>>
>> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
>> report to send to bosses?
>>
>> thanks a lot!
>> .

Re: nice report generator?

LosemindL
Thanks a lot!

Typically the console output will be something like this:

Analysis of Variance Table

Response: as.double(my.delta)
             Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
my.factor    1      0   0.005   2e-04  0.988
Residuals  1484  32630  21.988

I am looking for a report-generator to make this look nicer and tabularize it...

It doesn't matter if the outputs are in HTML, PDF, etc.

As long as it looks fantastic, that's what we are looking for ... and
also the convenience is important... we dont' want to create Latex
document with manual insertaion of tables and plots... These need
automation... thx a lot!

On 12/7/11, Janko Thyson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
> http://yihui.github.com/knitr/
>
> On 07.12.2011 19:19, Sarah Goslee wrote:
>> Sweave.
>>
>> Or ODFWeave, if Sweave/LaTeX are too much overhead.
>>
>> But really, it depends on what kind of report output you need to
>> deliver. Printed? HTML? PDF?
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Michael<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
>>> think that are currently available?
>>>
>>> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
>>> report to send to bosses?
>>>
>>> thanks a lot!
>>> .

Re: nice report generator?

Sarah Goslee
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks a lot!
>
> Typically the console output will be something like this:
>
> Analysis of Variance Table
>
> Response: as.double(my.delta)
>             Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
> my.factor    1      0   0.005   2e-04  0.988
> Residuals  1484  32630  21.988
>
> I am looking for a report-generator to make this look nicer and tabularize it...
>
> It doesn't matter if the outputs are in HTML, PDF, etc.
>
> As long as it looks fantastic, that's what we are looking for ... and
> also the convenience is important... we dont' want to create Latex
> document with manual insertaion of tables and plots... These need
> automation... thx a lot!

That's what sweave is *for* - automation and reproducible research. It
takes care of the heavy lifting of generating and inserting tables and
figures.

You will almost certainly need some tweaking to match your own
definition of "looks fantastic" though.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Re: nice report generator?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 07/12/2011 1:14 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
> think that are currently available?
>
> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
> report to send to bosses?

You might find the latex() command in Hmisc or the equivalent in the
xtable package does what you want.  For simple reports in a single table
you don't need Sweave; for more complex ones it would make your life easier.

My tables package (now on CRAN) might simplify the production of the
table.   It is set up to work with Hmisc currently.

Re: nice report generator?

nutterb
With any sort of reproducible report, you'll have to 'manually place' all of the tables and figures at least once.  If done well, however, you'll only have to ever do it once.

I'm not an Sweave expert (yet, regrettably), but using lazyWeave, you could generate a customized ANOVA table using the code below.  If you're familiar with Sweave, I'd recommend using it.

library(lazyWeave)
#*** Function to produce the latex code for an ANOVA table
anova.table <- function(aov.object, caption="", ...){
  out <- data.frame(Source = rownames(anova(aov.object)),
                    SS = anova(aov.object)[, 2],
                    D.F. = anova(aov.object)[, 1],
                    stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
  out$MS <- out$SS / out$D.F.
  out$F <- NA
  out$F[-nrow(out)] <- out$MS[-nrow(out)] / out$MS[nrow(out)]
  out$p <- 1 - pf(out$F, out$D.F., out$D.F.[nrow(out)])

  out <- rbind(out, data.frame(Source = "Total", SS=sum(out$SS), D.F.=sum(out$D.F.), MS=NA, F=NA, p=NA))

  out$SS <- round(out$SS, 3)
  out$MS <- round(out$MS, 3)
  out$F <- round(out$F, 3)

  rownames(out) <- NULL
  out[is.na(out)] <- ""
  paste(lazy.table(colnames(out), rborder=c(0, 0, 1), open=TRUE, close=FALSE, caption=caption),
        lazy.table(out, rborder=2, open=FALSE, close=TRUE), sep="\n")
}

#***
#*** Analysis of Variance
m1 <- aov(mpg ~ cyl, data=mtcars)

#***
#*** Write the result to a file
lazy.write(
  lazy.file.start(),
  anova.table(m1, caption="An example ANOVA table from the dataset \\tt mtcars\\rm."),
  lazy.file.end(),
  OutFile="TestFile.tex")

lazy.build("TestFile.tex")

  Benjamin Nutter |  Biostatistician     |  Quantitative Health Sciences
  Cleveland Clinic    |  9500 Euclid Ave.  |  Cleveland, OH 44195  | (216) 445-1365

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

===================================

in America by U.S.News & World Report (2010).
Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for
locations.

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use\...{{dropped:13}}

Re: nice report generator?

LosemindL
Thanks a lot Duncan!

I did some home-work and found out that in terms of table looks, it's
neater to generate Excel 2010 style colorful tables, not the Latex
style plain/math-geek tables...

Therefore, a report generator would hopefully generate Excel 2010
style tables, plus R plots, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

On 12/7/11, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/12/2011 1:14 PM, Michael wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
>> think that are currently available?
>>
>> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
>> report to send to bosses?
>
> You might find the latex() command in Hmisc or the equivalent in the
> xtable package does what you want.  For simple reports in a single table
> you don't need Sweave; for more complex ones it would make your life easier.
>
> My tables package (now on CRAN) might simplify the production of the
> table.   It is set up to work with Hmisc currently.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Re: nice report generator?

Abhijit Dasgupta, PhD
Sarah Goslee might want to chime in, but using odfWeave and appropriate
LibreOffice templates, you can generate beautifully formatted tables,
possibly in the style you wish, in LibreOffice, as well as add R figures.

The R2wd package (which has a proprietary component) will also generate
tables directly in Word (on windows machines) and their default theme is
pretty attractive to me. I'm pretty sure even that is customizable. You
can also put R plots directly into Word that way as well.

Abhijit

On 12/7/2011 3:21 PM, Michael wrote:

> Thanks a lot Duncan!
>
> I did some home-work and found out that in terms of table looks, it's
> neater to generate Excel 2010 style colorful tables, not the Latex
> style plain/math-geek tables...
>
> Therefore, a report generator would hopefully generate Excel 2010
> style tables, plus R plots, etc.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> On 12/7/11, Duncan Murdoch<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 07/12/2011 1:14 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am looking for recommendations/pointers about best report generator you
>>> think that are currently available?
>>>
>>> i.e. the package that can help turn console output into nice-looking neat
>>> report to send to bosses?
>> You might find the latex() command in Hmisc or the equivalent in the
>> xtable package does what you want.  For simple reports in a single table
>> you don't need Sweave; for more complex ones it would make your life easier.
>>
>> My tables package (now on CRAN) might simplify the production of the
>> table.   It is set up to work with Hmisc currently.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch

Re: nice report generator?

Liviu Andronic
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Janko Thyson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
> http://yihui.github.com/knitr/

If we're talking about nice, I'll chip in for LyX. It has support for
Sweave, and will soon support knitr. This eliminates (most of) the
burden of learning LaTeX.

Liviu

Re: nice report generator?

LosemindL
Thanks Liviu.

I actually knew Latex... so it's not a problem for me.

But honestly Latex tables cannot compete with Excel 2010 tables in
looks... the latter are for business users and for managers...

I am looking for a fast/convenient way to generate those tables... Thanks!

On 12/7/11, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Janko Thyson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
>> http://yihui.github.com/knitr/
>>
> If we're talking about nice, I'll chip in for LyX. It has support for
> Sweave, and will soon support knitr. This eliminates (most of) the
> burden of learning LaTeX.
>
> Liviu

Re: nice report generator?

Richard M. Heiberger
Michael,

that is a challenge.

I accept it and suggest that it be a contest on the R-help list.

Please post a pdf file showing some (more than one) tables that you think
look better in Excel than in LaTeX.
I,and probably some others, will send our versions of the tables.

I think a new email thread with an appropriate catchy title would be the
way to do it.

Rich
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Liviu.
>
> I actually knew Latex... so it's not a problem for me.
>
> But honestly Latex tables cannot compete with Excel 2010 tables in
> looks... the latter are for business users and for managers...
>
> I am looking for a fast/convenient way to generate those tables... Thanks!
>
> On 12/7/11, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Janko Thyson
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
> >> http://yihui.github.com/knitr/
> >>
> > If we're talking about nice, I'll chip in for LyX. It has support for
> > Sweave, and will soon support knitr. This eliminates (most of) the
> > burden of learning LaTeX.
> >
> > Liviu

Re: nice report generator?

Yihui Xie-2
Could you show us a few screenshots of what you believe are
"good-looking Excel 2010 tables"? (e.g. via imgur.com) Sorry I do not
have Excel 2010.

I feel this post is more like a matter of style, so it is likely to be
a personal matter of taste. Anyway, I'd like to see what is a
beautiful table in your eyes.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <[hidden email]>
Phone: 515-294-2465 Web: http://yihui.name

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Liviu.
>
> I actually knew Latex... so it's not a problem for me.
>
> But honestly Latex tables cannot compete with Excel 2010 tables in
> looks... the latter are for business users and for managers...
>
> I am looking for a fast/convenient way to generate those tables... Thanks!
>
> On 12/7/11, Liviu Andronic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Janko Thyson
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I like knitr. IMHO Yihui really came up with a killer package there:
>>> http://yihui.github.com/knitr/
>>>
>> If we're talking about nice, I'll chip in for LyX. It has support for
>> Sweave, and will soon support knitr. This eliminates (most of) the
>> burden of learning LaTeX.
>>
>> Liviu

Re: nice report generator?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> that is a challenge.
>
> I accept it and suggest that it be a contest on the R-help list.
>
> Please post a pdf file showing some (more than one) tables that you think
> look better in Excel than in LaTeX.
> I,and probably some others, will send our versions of the tables.
>
> I think a new email thread with an appropriate catchy title would be the
> way to do it.

The problem is that its drop dead easy in Excel but its not readily
accessible in R and latex (as opposed to the problem being raw
capability). Simply exhibiting how to do it is not enough.  What is
needed is a function, accessible from CRAN, with a bunch of built in
themes that are easy to apply:

latex(DF, theme = "cherry orchard")

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: nice report generator?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-12-07 5:43 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Richard M. Heiberger<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> that is a challenge.
>>
>> I accept it and suggest that it be a contest on the R-help list.
>>
>> Please post a pdf file showing some (more than one) tables that you think
>> look better in Excel than in LaTeX.
>> I,and probably some others, will send our versions of the tables.
>>
>> I think a new email thread with an appropriate catchy title would be the
>> way to do it.
>
> The problem is that its drop dead easy in Excel but its not readily
> accessible in R and latex (as opposed to the problem being raw
> capability). Simply exhibiting how to do it is not enough.  What is
> needed is a function, accessible from CRAN, with a bunch of built in
> themes that are easy to apply:
>
> latex(DF, theme = "cherry orchard")

I don't believe you.  Show us some examples.

Re: nice report generator?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11-12-07 5:43 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Richard M. Heiberger<[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> that is a challenge.
>>>
>>> I accept it and suggest that it be a contest on the R-help list.
>>>
>>> Please post a pdf file showing some (more than one) tables that you think
>>> look better in Excel than in LaTeX.
>>> I,and probably some others, will send our versions of the tables.
>>>
>>> I think a new email thread with an appropriate catchy title would be the
>>> way to do it.
>>

>> The problem is that its drop dead easy in Excel but its not readily
>> accessible in R and latex (as opposed to the problem being raw
>> capability). Simply exhibiting how to do it is not enough.  What is
>> needed is a function, accessible from CRAN, with a bunch of built in
>> themes that are easy to apply:
>>
>> latex(DF, theme = "cherry orchard")
>>

> I don't believe you.  Show us some examples.

As I mentioned, its not just a matter of replicating the output. Its a
matter of how easy it is to generate it.  With Excel 2007 enter a
table into the cells, select it and on the Home tab in the Styles
group of the ribbon click on Format a Table.  Select any of the
templates that are presented and that's it.

I have produced quite fancy tables with R and latex beyond what the
above instructions could do in Excel but I did not regard that effort
as easy although it did produce very nice looking tables.

There is a new tables package that just appeared on CRAN in the last
few days.  I haven't seriously used it yet but perhaps it has some of
these capabilities (or if not will evolve into providing not only the
tabular content but also the presentation aspects that are important
to some users) or perhaps some other CRAN package has already gone in
this direction.

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: nice report generator?

Rainer Schuermann
> ... or perhaps some other CRAN package has already gone in
> this direction.

The tableGrob function in the gridExtra package probably is one of them.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:29:54 -0500
> Von: Gabor Grothendieck <[hidden email]>
> An: Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]>
> CC: r-help <[hidden email]>, Janko Thyson <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [R] nice report generator?

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On 11-12-07 5:43 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> think

> the
> >>

> >> The problem is that its drop dead easy in Excel but its not readily
> >> accessible in R and latex (as opposed to the problem being raw
> >> capability). Simply exhibiting how to do it is not enough.  What is
> >> needed is a function, accessible from CRAN, with a bunch of built in
> >> themes that are easy to apply:
> >>
> >> latex(DF, theme = "cherry orchard")
> >>

> > I don't believe you.  Show us some examples.
> >

> As I mentioned, its not just a matter of replicating the output. Its a
> matter of how easy it is to generate it.  With Excel 2007 enter a
> table into the cells, select it and on the Home tab in the Styles
> group of the ribbon click on Format a Table.  Select any of the
> templates that are presented and that's it.
>
> I have produced quite fancy tables with R and latex beyond what the
> above instructions could do in Excel but I did not regard that effort
> as easy although it did produce very nice looking tables.
>
> There is a new tables package that just appeared on CRAN in the last
> few days.  I haven't seriously used it yet but perhaps it has some of
> these capabilities (or if not will evolve into providing not only the
> tabular content but also the presentation aspects that are important
> to some users) or perhaps some other CRAN package has already gone in
> this direction.
>
> --
> Statistics & Software Consulting
> GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
> tel: 1-877-GKX-GROUP
> email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

-------

Gentoo Linux with KDE

Re: nice report generator?

LosemindL
Do you have an example...? Thanks a lot!

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Rainer Schuermann <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> > ... or perhaps some other CRAN package has already gone in
> > this direction.
>
> The tableGrob function in the gridExtra package probably is one of them.
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:29:54 -0500
> > Von: Gabor Grothendieck <[hidden email]>
> > An: Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]>
> > CC: r-help <[hidden email]>, Janko Thyson <
> [hidden email]>
> > Betreff: Re: [R] nice report generator?
>
> > On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> > think

> > the

> > > I don't believe you.  Show us some examples.
> > >

> > As I mentioned, its not just a matter of replicating the output. Its a
> > matter of how easy it is to generate it.  With Excel 2007 enter a
> > table into the cells, select it and on the Home tab in the Styles
> > group of the ribbon click on Format a Table.  Select any of the
> > templates that are presented and that's it.
> >
> > I have produced quite fancy tables with R and latex beyond what the
> > above instructions could do in Excel but I did not regard that effort
> > as easy although it did produce very nice looking tables.
> >
> > There is a new tables package that just appeared on CRAN in the last
> > few days.  I haven't seriously used it yet but perhaps it has some of
> > these capabilities (or if not will evolve into providing not only the
> > tabular content but also the presentation aspects that are important
> > to some users) or perhaps some other CRAN package has already gone in
> > this direction.
> >
> > --
> > Statistics & Software Consulting
> > GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
> > tel: 1-877-GKX-GROUP
> > email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

> -------
>
> Gentoo Linux with KDE

Re: nice report generator?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you have an example...? Thanks a lot!

See this video:
http://www.woopid.com/video/1388/Format-as-Table

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

123