nls problem

Weijie Cai
Hi list,

I tried to use nls to do some nonlinear least square fitting on my data with
340 observations and 10 variables, but as I called nls() function, I got
this error message:
Error in qr.qty(QR, resid) : 'qr' and 'y' must have the same number of rows
Then I traced back a little bit into nls() function, the error seemed to
happen when calling nlsiter() internal function, but I did not find any clue
calling qr.qty() function in nls.c. I searched around mailing list, there
were some posts about this message but none of them were clearly solved. I
wonder if anybody solved this problem? (Bate's example worked, though)

Thanks

Re: nls problem

Brian Ripley
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Weijie Cai wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I tried to use nls to do some nonlinear least square fitting on my data with
> 340 observations and 10 variables, but as I called nls() function, I got
> this error message:
> Error in qr.qty(QR, resid) : 'qr' and 'y' must have the same number of rows
> Then I traced back a little bit into nls() function, the error seemed to
> happen when calling nlsiter() internal function, but I did not find any clue
> calling qr.qty() function in nls.c. I searched around mailing list, there
> were some posts about this message but none of them were clearly solved. I
> wonder if anybody solved this problem? (Bate's example worked, though)

Please don't quess.  qr.qty(QR, resid) appears in nlsModel, and
traceback() would tell you where the error can from.

If you study the posting guide you should be able to come up with a
report we can help you with, e.g. by giving a reproducible example, giving
your R version ....