(no subject)

Michael Anyadike-Danes
I am having difficulty installing the package "lattice".

First I tried downloading it from the CRAN site (in the normal way) :
the message said it worked but when I typed library I got an error
message ("there is no package").

Second I tried installing it from the local zip. I have reproduced the
result below.

utils:::menuInstallLocal()

package 'lattice' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package 'lattice'

updating HTML package descriptions

> library(lattice)

Error in library(lattice) : there is no package called 'lattice'

Have I missed something?

Apologies if it is something really obvious.

Michael Anyadike-Danes

Economic Research Institute of Northern Ireland

Floral Buildings

2-14 East Bridge Street

Belfast BT1 3NQ

Tel:  (028) 90727362

Fax: (028) 90319003

Re: problems installing lattice on Windows; was: (no subject)

Uwe Ligges
Michael Anyadike-Danes wrote:

> I am having difficulty installing the package "lattice".
>

> First I tried downloading it from the CRAN site (in the normal way) :
> the message said it worked but when I typed library I got an error
> message ("there is no package").

lattice is shipped with R. You don't need to install it separately
unless you want a more recent version in which case you simply can use
update.packages().

> Second I tried installing it from the local zip. I have reproduced the
> result below.
>

> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
>
> package 'lattice' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package 'lattice'

So you had lattice loaded once you decided to update. This does not work
under Windows as you have certainly already read in the R for Windows FAQs.

Start R without loading lattice and then update the package.

> updating HTML package descriptions
>

>>library(lattice)
>

> Error in library(lattice) : there is no package called 'lattice'
>

> Have I missed something?

Yes: reading the manuals and the posting guide (which also asks you to
use a sensible subject line).
I assume this is R under Windows, and I hope a recent copy such as
"R-2.2.1".

Uwe Ligges