(no subject)

Jiang, Jincai (Institutional Securities Management)
I found that read.table() does not work well on lines that is longer
than 236 bytes.
Is this know problem? Is it under fixing?

Regards,

Jincai Jiang
(Office) 212-761-3984

Re: (no subject)

Sundar Dorai-Raj

Jiang, Jincai (Institutional Securities Management) wrote:
> I found that read.table() does not work well on lines that is longer
> than 236 bytes.
> Is this know problem? Is it under fixing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jincai Jiang
> (Office) 212-761-3984

Hi, Jincai,

What does "not work well" mean? 236 bytes is only 236 characters and is
by far a very short line of data. I routinely read files with 100-300
columns and never had a problem with read.table.

Please supply a reproducible example. Also, test your assertion on other
datasets to determine if something is wrong with the file you are
reading. I suspect the data format is the issue and not read.table.

Finally, read the posting guide. Comments such as "does not work well"
usually do not go over well on this list.

HTH,

--sundar