novice questions about programming in "R"

novice questions about programming in "R"

Richard Evans-2
folks,

I have been struggling with the "R" documentation for too long now and
I need a simple answer on two questions. The documentation does not
have adequate examples. Please help.

given two equal vector lists:
   A <- c(0,1,2,3)
   B <- c(5,6,7,8)

[Question #1]
how do I dump them to a text file with the following format:
[line 1] 0.0000000    5.0000000
[line 2] 1.0000000    6.0000000
[line 3] 2.0000000    7.0000000
[line 4] 3.0000000    8.0000000

[Question #2]
how do you make log-log plot that looks
like it was plotted on log-log graph paper?

Re: novice questions about programming in "R"

Gabor Grothendieck
Try this:

        write.table(sprintf("%10.5f%10.5f", A, B), file = "myfile.dat",
                quote = FALSE, row = FALSE, col = FALSE)

        plot(1:100, 1:100, log = "xy")
        grid()  # only if you want a grid

?plot.default has info on the log= argument.  Use ? with the other
commands to find out more about them.

On 2/6/06, Richard Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> folks,
>
> I have been struggling with the "R" documentation for too long now and
> I need a simple answer on two questions. The documentation does not
> have adequate examples. Please help.
>
> given two equal vector lists:
>   A <- c(0,1,2,3)
>   B <- c(5,6,7,8)
>
> [Question #1]
> how do I dump them to a text file with the following format:
> [line 1] 0.0000000    5.0000000
> [line 2] 1.0000000    6.0000000
> [line 3] 2.0000000    7.0000000
> [line 4] 3.0000000    8.0000000
>
> [Question #2]
> how do you make log-log plot that looks
> like it was plotted on log-log graph paper?

Re: novice questions about programming in "R"

Fox, John
Dear Richard,

One way to do this is

Data <- cbind(A,B)
rownames(Data) <- paste("[line ", 1:4, "]", sep="")
write.table(formatC(Data, digits=7, format="f"),
    file="c:/temp/test.txt", col.names=FALSE, quote=FALSE)

[Note that the two vectors are not lists and are not equal. If you don't
really want the line numbers in the file, then omit the second command and
use the argument row.names=FALSE to write.table().]

> [Question #2]
> how do you make log-log plot that looks like it was plotted
> on log-log graph paper?

plot(x, y, log="xy")

[I assume that you don't want the graph-paper grid, though you could add
that with abline(h=values, v=values, col="gray") if you do.]

I hope this helps,
 John