panel function

Hank Stevens
R v. 2.2.0 on Mac OS 10.4.3
lattice v. 0.12-11

I am trying to add a horizontal panel mean line to a series of panels
in a trellis plot (i.e. a horizontal line at the mean of  y for each
individual panel). I have tried innumerable ways to do this,
including the code below, but if it works at all, it merely puts a
horizontal line in the last panel.

xyplot(diss ~ Nut-7|Size, data=dathdiss, pch=1, jitter.data=TRUE,
panel=function(x,y,...){
        panel.xyplot(x,y)
        panel.abline(a=mean(y),b=0) #This results in the correct line in the
last panel, but no other lines at all.
        })

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you kindly,
Hank

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
"E Pluribus Unum"

Re: panel function

Bert Gunter
You probably have missing values in your y data. Try:
panel.abline(h=mean(y,na.rm=TRUE))

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box

Re: panel function SOLVED

Hank Stevens
Hi Bernard,
Your solution was exactly right. I could have sworn I tried also
panel.abline(a=mean(y,na.rm=TRUE), b=0) and, although it works now, I
must have done something wrong such that it did not work.
THANK YOU