parttioning a matrix corresponding to different levels of y

parttioning a matrix corresponding to different levels of y

suman dhara
Sir,
I have a problem regarding partitioning a matrix.I state my problem as
follows:

I have a y vector of length say 1000.Variable y has 4 levels say
0,1,2.Corresponding to each y(response), I have a x-vector(explanatory) as a
row of X matrix.Now, I want to partition the X matrix into 3 submatrices say
x1,x2,x3  corresponding to each level of y.Is there any function to do this
in R or how can I do this in R?

For your convinience I attach a sample version of data.

Thanks,
Suman Dhara

Re: parttioning a matrix corresponding to different levels of y

sayan dasgupta
Suman take a look if this suffices your purpous

x <- data.frame(y=as.factor(sample(0:2,1000,replace=TRUE)),x=runif(1000))
x1 <- x[x$y==0,]
x2 <- x[x$y==1,]
x3 <- x[x$y==2,]

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM, suman dhara <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sir,
> I have a problem regarding partitioning a matrix.I state my problem as
> follows:
>
> I have a y vector of length say 1000.Variable y has 4 levels say
> 0,1,2.Corresponding to each y(response), I have a x-vector(explanatory) as
> row of X matrix.Now, I want to partition the X matrix into 3 submatrices
> say
> x1,x2,x3  corresponding to each level of y.Is there any function to do this
> in R or how can I do this in R?
>
> For your convinience I attach a sample version of data.

Use dput()  and paste it in your mail