Quantcast

piper diagram

Dylan Beaudette-2
Hi,

Is anyone on the list familiar with an R implementation of Piper Diagrams?

Example:
http://faculty.uml.edu/nelson_eby/89.315/IMAGES/Figure%209-78.jpg

I am thinking that two calls to triax.plot (plotrix) along with some kind of
affine-transformed standard plot would do the trick. Not so sure about the
final layout, or a nice generalized version for something like lattice.

Cheers,

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory

Re: piper diagram

Bert Gunter
ternaryplot() in the vcd package might help.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

Re: piper diagram

Jim Lemon
Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone on the list familiar with an R implementation of Piper Diagrams?
>
> Example:
> http://faculty.uml.edu/nelson_eby/89.315/IMAGES/Figure%209-78.jpg
>
> I am thinking that two calls to triax.plot (plotrix) along with some kind of
> affine-transformed standard plot would do the trick. Not so sure about the
> final layout, or a nice generalized version for something like lattice.

Hi Dylan,
You're correct about the lower two triangle plots, triax.plot would
handle these (although there would probably be a bit of hacking about to
get the two plots in the right place). I don't understand the upper
rhombus. As a third triangle plot I can get it, but the bottom half
seems to be either redundant or nonsensical (you can't have negative
proportions of components). If I have some time, I'll look up "piper
plot" and try to work out what it all means.

Jim

Re: piper diagram

Jim Lemon
Jim Lemon wrote:

> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone on the list familiar with an R implementation of Piper
>> Diagrams?
>>
>> Example:
>> http://faculty.uml.edu/nelson_eby/89.315/IMAGES/Figure%209-78.jpg
>>
>> I am thinking that two calls to triax.plot (plotrix) along with some
>> kind of affine-transformed standard plot would do the trick. Not so
>> sure about the final layout, or a nice generalized version for
>> something like lattice.

Okay, I've had a look at the Piper diagram and with better labeled ones
and some explanations, I think I've got the picture. No, triax.plot
won't do the job, but it's a similar sort of illustration. Give me a few
days to think about it and I may be able to put one together.

Jim

Re: piper diagram

Dylan Beaudette-2
On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Jim Lemon wrote:

> Jim Lemon wrote:
> > Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is anyone on the list familiar with an R implementation of Piper
> >> Diagrams?
> >>
> >> Example:
> >> http://faculty.uml.edu/nelson_eby/89.315/IMAGES/Figure%209-78.jpg
> >>
> >> I am thinking that two calls to triax.plot (plotrix) along with some
> >> kind of affine-transformed standard plot would do the trick. Not so
> >> sure about the final layout, or a nice generalized version for
> >> something like lattice.
>
> Okay, I've had a look at the Piper diagram and with better labeled ones
> and some explanations, I think I've got the picture. No, triax.plot
> won't do the job, but it's a similar sort of illustration. Give me a few
> days to think about it and I may be able to put one together.
>
> Jim

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/
University of California at Davis
530.754.7341

Re: piper diagram

Michael Grant-10
Sorry no previous message text or addresses, but I just cleaned my mailbox
and then found something relevant. Regarding the Piper diagram. I just
noticed the 'hydrogeo' package on CRAN, courtesy of one Myles English. That
should be what you need or close to it.

Best regards,

Michael Grant

Re: piper diagram

ssefick
RSEIS -  I think may have a piper diagram.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Michael Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry no previous message text or addresses, but I just cleaned my mailbox
> and then found something relevant. Regarding the Piper diagram. I just
> noticed the 'hydrogeo' package on CRAN, courtesy of one Myles English. That
> should be what you need or close to it.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Michael Grant

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us
feel like gods. We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little
problems of being mammals.

-K. Mullis