Quantcast

plot probability density function (pdf)

pigpigmeow
I have 2 series of variables, I want to plot the probability density function of these 2 variabels (i.e. two curves in one graph), I just want to compare these two variable distribution.
what should I do?
can I use ggplot2 package?

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

jdospina
x=rnorm(100,1,0.8) # A series.
y=rnorm(100,0,0.5) # Another series with different mean and variance.

plot(density(x),ylim=c(0,1))
lines(density(y),col="red")

Remember that density() is a nonparametric estimator. You should properly choose the bandwith.
Juan David Ospina Arango

School of Statistics
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia

Laboratoire de Traitement du Signal et de l'Image
Université de Rennes 1, France

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

pigpigmeow
however, if i have an excel file, but there have 6 variables, a,b,c,d,e,f.

how to plot the probability density function of a and d in one graph, b and e in another graph?

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

jdospina
x11()
plot(density(a))
lines(density(d))
x11()
plot(density(b))
lines(density(e))

2011/10/12 pigpigmeow [via R] <[hidden email]>:

> however, if i have an excel file, but there have 6 variables, a,b,c,d,e,f.
>

> how to plot the probability density function of a and d in one graph, b and
> e in another graph?

Juan David Ospina Arango
Juan David Ospina Arango

School of Statistics
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia

Laboratoire de Traitement du Signal et de l'Image
Université de Rennes 1, France

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

pigpigmeow
This post was updated on .
x11()
what does it mean?

if my data has missing value, can I plot the graph?
the missing data is shown "NA", how to handle it and plot pdf?

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

pigpigmeow
i want to plot probability density function,predictvalue has missing value and observevalue has not missing value, I tried ..

attach(test) #test is the name of the data file
names(test)

plot(density(predictvalue,na.rm=TRUE))
lines(density(observevalue))

is it correct?

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

Michael Weylandt
Assuming you mean you want them on the same device:

layout(1:2)
plot(density(a))
lines(density(d),col=2)
plot(density(b))
lines(density(e),col=2)

Getting your data into R is more of a challenge, but if you want my
unsolicited advice, you can do far worse than saving as CSV and using
read.csv()

Michael

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:31 AM, pigpigmeow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> however, if i have an excel file, but there have 6 variables, a,b,c,d,e,f.
>

> how to plot the probability density function of a and d in one graph, b and
> e in another graph?

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

Please -- this is not your personal help advisor. Use R's Help facilities
before posting.

-- Bert

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:20 AM, pigpigmeow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> x11()
> what does it mean?

?x11

> if my data has missing value, can I plot the graph?

Try it and see.

Re: plot probability density function (pdf)

pigpigmeow
thank you all of u