plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

Abdul Wahid Memon
Hello everyone

I have some data of the following type.

100 200 300 400 500
1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
600 700 800 900 1000
1.5 1.7 1.9 2.0 2.4

With plot() and points functions I can plot these 4 lines of data. But
I dont know how to do it with qplot or ggplot functions. The scenario
is something like this: the hundreds should appear on x-axis and the
fractional values of y axis.

Thanks alot.

MEMON Abdul Wahid

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

John Kane-2
There are probably lots of better aproaches but this seems to work.  I just combined the lines into one vector and assighed a dummy variable to mark the diffferent lines

ibrary(ggplot2)
mydata <- data.frame(xrange <- c(100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600,
        700, 800, 900, 1000),
        yrange = c( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, 2.4),
        mark = c(rep("a",5), rep("b", 5)))
         
p <- ggplot(mydata, aes( xrange, yrange, colour= mark))

p <- p + geom_line()

p

--- On Mon, 11/28/11, Abdul Wahid Memon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Abdul Wahid Memon <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [R] plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2
> To: [hidden email]
> Received: Monday, November 28, 2011, 9:35 AM
> Hello everyone
>
> I have some data of the following type.
>
> 100 200 300 400 500
> 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
> 600 700 800 900 1000
> 1.5 1.7 1.9 2.0 2.4
>
> With plot() and points functions I can plot these 4 lines
> of data. But
> I dont know how to do it with qplot or ggplot functions.
> The scenario
> is something like this: the hundreds should appear on
> x-axis and the
> fractional values of y axis.
>
> Thanks alot.
>
> MEMON Abdul Wahid
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email]
> mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained,
> reproducible code.
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

bbolker
John Kane <jrkrideau <at> yahoo.ca> writes:

>
> There are probably lots of better aproaches but this seems to work.
>   I just combined the lines into one vector
> and assighed a dummy variable to mark the diffferent lines
>
> ibrary(ggplot2)
> mydata <- data.frame(xrange <- c(100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600,
>         700, 800, 900, 1000),
>         yrange = c( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, 2.4),
>         mark = c(rep("a",5), rep("b", 5)))
>
> p <- ggplot(mydata, aes( xrange, yrange, colour= mark))
>
> p <- p + geom_line()
>
> p

  Yes, or qplot(xrange,yrange,colour=mark,data="mydata")

This was cross-posted to stack overflow: please don't crosspost.
(I didn't understand the question until just now, it was simpler
than I thought -- I thought the OP wanted *four* lines on the final
plot (not "I have four lines of data").

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

Abdul Wahid Memon
Its very much simple.

Simply, if we do like the following
x<-c(100,200,300,400,500)
y<-c(1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5)
a<-c(600, 700, 800, 900, 1000)
b<-(1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.1, 2.3)
plot(x,y)
points(a,b)

As you can see the call to points() function will superimpose a new
curve (with some new points on x-axis) on the existing plot.

This is what I want to achieve with qplot or ggplot functions

Regards
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Ben Bolker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Kane <jrkrideau <at> yahoo.ca> writes:
>
>>
>> There are probably lots of better aproaches but this seems to work.
>>   I just combined the lines into one vector
>> and assighed a dummy variable to mark the diffferent lines
>>
>> ibrary(ggplot2)
>> mydata <- data.frame(xrange <- c(100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600,
>>         700, 800, 900, 1000),
>>         yrange = c( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, 2.4),
>>         mark = c(rep("a",5), rep("b", 5)))
>>
>> p <- ggplot(mydata, aes( xrange, yrange, colour= mark))
>>
>> p <- p + geom_line()
>>
>> p
>
>  Yes, or qplot(xrange,yrange,colour=mark,data="mydata")
>
> This was cross-posted to stack overflow: please don't crosspost.
> (I didn't understand the question until just now, it was simpler
> than I thought -- I thought the OP wanted *four* lines on the final
> plot (not "I have four lines of data").
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2

John Kane-2


--- On Mon, 11/28/11, Abdul Wahid Memon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Abdul Wahid Memon <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [R] plotting multiple lines on single graph ggplot2
> To: "Ben Bolker" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Received: Monday, November 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
> Its very much simple.
>
> Simply, if we do like the following
> x<-c(100,200,300,400,500)
> y<-c(1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5)
> a<-c(600, 700, 800, 900, 1000)
> b<-(1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.1, 2.3)
> plot(x,y)
> points(a,b)
>
> As you can see the call to points() function will
> superimpose a new
> curve (with some new points on x-axis) on the existing
> plot.
>
> This is what I want to achieve with qplot or ggplot
> functions
>
Have you run that code?  Unless you specify the xllm() values it does not work.  

As Ben Bolker and I point out the modified data.frame I supplied does work either with ggplot() or qplot()




> Regards
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Ben Bolker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > John Kane <jrkrideau <at> yahoo.ca>
> writes:
> >
> >>
> >> There are probably lots of better aproaches but
> this seems to work.
> >>   I just combined the lines into one vector
> >> and assighed a dummy variable to mark the
> diffferent lines
> >>
> >> ibrary(ggplot2)
> >> mydata <- data.frame(xrange <- c(100, 200,
> 300, 400, 500, 600,
> >>         700, 800, 900, 1000),
> >>         yrange = c( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5,
> 1.5, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0, 2.4),
> >>         mark = c(rep("a",5), rep("b", 5)))
> >>
> >> p <- ggplot(mydata, aes( xrange, yrange,
> colour= mark))
> >>
> >> p <- p + geom_line()
> >>
> >> p
> >
> >  Yes, or
> qplot(xrange,yrange,colour=mark,data="mydata")
> >
> > This was cross-posted to stack overflow: please don't
> crosspost.
> > (I didn't understand the question until just now, it
> was simpler
> > than I thought -- I thought the OP wanted *four* lines
> on the final
> > plot (not "I have four lines of data").

Same here for a while until I suddenly realised the x range did not make sense.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.