pmax and long vector

Kasper Daniel Hansen-2
I see that base::pmax() does not support long vectors.

Is R-devel interested in reports like this; ie. is there a goal of full
support for long vectors in "basic" functions, something I at least would
greatly appreciate?

MRE:

> pmax(rep(1L, 3*10^9), 0)

Error in pmax(rep(1L, 3 * 10^9), 0) :
  long vectors not supported yet:
../../../R-devel-src/src/include/Rinlinedfuns.h:522

Best,
Kasper

Re: pmax and long vector

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 21/01/2019 12:35 p.m., Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> I see that base::pmax() does not support long vectors.
>
> Is R-devel interested in reports like this; ie. is there a goal of full
> support for long vectors in "basic" functions, something I at least would
> greatly appreciate?
>
> MRE:
>
>> pmax(rep(1L, 3*10^9), 0)
>
> Error in pmax(rep(1L, 3 * 10^9), 0) :
>    long vectors not supported yet:
> ../../../R-devel-src/src/include/Rinlinedfuns.h:522

I think a carefully tested patch that fixes pmax (it would need to
change this call from length() to xlength(), and make some other
necessary changes that follow from this), would probably be useful to R
Core, and could be posted to bugs.r-project.org.

It might also be useful on R-devel to post a list of all known commonly
used functions that don't support long vectors; this could be updated on
a regular basis.  This might encourage people to produce patches as above.

I'm not so sure a report about a single function won't just get lost.

Re: pmax and long vector

Gabriel Becker-2
Kasper,

If you're not interested or dont have time to create said patch yourself
let me know and i can do it.

Best,
~G

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 AM Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]
wrote:

> On 21/01/2019 12:35 p.m., Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> > I see that base::pmax() does not support long vectors.
> >
> > Is R-devel interested in reports like this; ie. is there a goal of full
> > support for long vectors in "basic" functions, something I at least would
> > greatly appreciate?
> >
> > MRE:
> >
> >> pmax(rep(1L, 3*10^9), 0)
> >
> > Error in pmax(rep(1L, 3 * 10^9), 0) :
> >    long vectors not supported yet:
> > ../../../R-devel-src/src/include/Rinlinedfuns.h:522
>

> I think a carefully tested patch that fixes pmax (it would need to
> change this call from length() to xlength(), and make some other
> necessary changes that follow from this), would probably be useful to R
> Core, and could be posted to bugs.r-project.org.
>
> It might also be useful on R-devel to post a list of all known commonly
> used functions that don't support long vectors; this could be updated on
> a regular basis.  This might encourage people to produce patches as above.
>
> I'm not so sure a report about a single function won't just get lost.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Re: pmax and long vector

Kasper Daniel Hansen-2
Gabe, I don't (yet) know much about long vectors at the C level. So feel
free to address this.

Duncan, I'll see what I can do regarding systematically compiling a list of
functions without long vector support. These days I frequently work with
big enough matrices that I need it.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 3:09 PM Gabriel Becker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Kasper,
>
> If you're not interested or dont have time to create said patch yourself
> let me know and i can do it.
>
> Best,
> ~G
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 AM Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/01/2019 12:35 p.m., Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> > I see that base::pmax() does not support long vectors.
>> >
>> > Is R-devel interested in reports like this; ie. is there a goal of full
>> > support for long vectors in "basic" functions, something I at least
>> would
>> > greatly appreciate?
>> >
>> > MRE:

>> > Error in pmax(rep(1L, 3 * 10^9), 0) :
>> >    long vectors not supported yet:
>> > ../../../R-devel-src/src/include/Rinlinedfuns.h:522
>>

>> I think a carefully tested patch that fixes pmax (it would need to
>> change this call from length() to xlength(), and make some other
>> necessary changes that follow from this), would probably be useful to R
>> Core, and could be posted to bugs.r-project.org.
>>
>> It might also be useful on R-devel to post a list of all known commonly
>> used functions that don't support long vectors; this could be updated on
>> a regular basis.  This might encourage people to produce patches as above.
>>
>> I'm not so sure a report about a single function won't just get lost.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch

Re: pmax and long vector

Martin Maechler

    > Gabe, I don't (yet) know much about long vectors at the C level. So feel
    > free to address this.

    > Duncan, I'll see what I can do regarding systematically compiling a list of
    > functions without long vector support. These days I frequently work with
    > big enough matrices that I need it.

Thank you, Kasper, Duncan and Gabriel!

I agree with Duncan about  "probably be useful to R Core".

Best,
Martin