problem unpacking R sources (PR#8492)

sls-2
Full_Name: Steven L. Scott
Version: 2.2.1
OS: Windows-Cygwin
Submission from: (NULL) (128.125.60.50)

I've had problems unpacking the R source coded downloaded from
   http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/src/base/R-2/R-2.2.1.tar.gz

Version info for tar and gunzip provided below (GNU legalese edited out), along
with the error messages I get.
Thanks.
Steve

/notcygwin[506] gunzip --version
gunzip 1.3.5
(2002-09-30)
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
Copyright 1992-1993 Jean-loup Gailly
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H HAVE_MEMORY_H HAVE_STRING_H HAVE_LSTAT
ASMV
Written by Jean-loup Gailly.

/notcygwin[507] tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

/notcygwin[508] gunzip R-2.2.1.tar.gz
R-2.2.1.tar.gz:   0.2% -- replaced with R-2.2.1.tar

/notcygwin[509] tar xf R-2.2.1.tar
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

Re: problem unpacking R sources (PR#8492)

Uwe Ligges
[hidden email] wrote:

> Full_Name: Steven L. Scott
> Version: 2.2.1
> OS: Windows-Cygwin
> Submission from: (NULL) (128.125.60.50)
>

> I've had problems unpacking the R source coded downloaded from
>    http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/src/base/R-2/R-2.2.1.tar.gz

This is not a bug in R!!!

The Statlib mirror is known to be broken.
Please download from another mirror.

Please check the archives before submitting a bug report!

Uwe Ligges