problem with mirror selection

Erin Hodgess
Dear R People:

I'm having trouble with selecting a mirror to download packages.

When I select the location, R just sits.  When I try to cancel
the program, it never quits.

Has anyone else run into this, please?  It only happens on my
laptop, not my desktop.  My inclination is to say that it might be
a problem with a firewall, but I thought I would check here as
well.

R Version 2.2.1 Windows.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: problem with mirror selection

Liaw, Andy
You didn't say if you did the selection from the menu or the command line...

In any case, the menu `Packages' -> `Set CRAN Mirror...' runs the command
chooseCRANmirror(), which looks like

> chooseCRANmirror
function (graphics = TRUE)
{
    if (!interactive())
        stop("cannot choose a CRAN mirror non-interactively")
    m <- read.csv(file.path(R.home("doc"), "CRAN_mirrors.csv"),
        as.is = TRUE)
    res <- menu(m[, 1], graphics, "CRAN mirror")
    if (res > 0) {
        URL <- m[res, "URL"]
        repos <- getOption("repos")
        repos["CRAN"] <- gsub("/$", "", URL[1])
        options(repos = repos)
    }
    invisible()
}
<environment: namespace:utils>

As you can see, it simply sets the repos option, and never use the net.  So,
exactly how did you get the problem you described?

Andy

From: Erin Hodgess