Quantcast

quantmod getSymbols() failing on Yahoo

Threaded

quantmod getSymbols() failing on Yahoo

Keith Sabol-3
I've been using getSymbols() to retrieve data from Yahoo for some time
without difficulty.  Recently, I've been getting this error:

getSymbols("IBM")
Error in download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,
 :
  cannot open URL '
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv
'

Pasting this url into my browser works as expected:

https://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv

Can someone suggest how I might find/edit the line in the quantmod code
that would enable me to to switch to HTTPS until the package catches up?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Keith

Threaded

Re: quantmod getSymbols() failing on Yahoo

Joshua Ulrich
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Keith Sabol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using getSymbols() to retrieve data from Yahoo for some time
> without difficulty.  Recently, I've been getting this error:
>
> getSymbols("IBM")
> Error in download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,
>  :
>   cannot open URL '
> http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv
> '
>

> Pasting this url into my browser works as expected:
>
> https://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv
>

> Can someone suggest how I might find/edit the line in the quantmod code
> that would enable me to to switch to HTTPS until the package catches up?

The package caught up yesterday.  You need to upgrade to quantmod 0.4-8 on CRAN.

> Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
>
> Keith

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
R/Finance 2017 | www.rinfinance.com

Threaded

Re: quantmod getSymbols() failing on Yahoo

Keith Sabol-3
Marco,
Updating your version of quantmod, as suggested by Josh, should work. Did for me.

Keith

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Keith Sabol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Marco,
> Updating your version of quantmod, as suggested by Josh, should work. Did for me.
>
> Keith
>
>> On Apr 20, 2017, at 1:44 PM, Magicaltats Bianchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have in fact experienced exactly the same identical situation. Don't really understand where the problem is coming from, let alone figuring out what to do to resolve it! Any suggestions welcome. Marco

If you're interested in what happened, there are details in the GitHub issue:
https://github.com/joshuaulrich/quantmod/issues/149