"prob" package alternative

Tiby Kantrowitz
The prob package has been archived because it depends upon some other
packages which have issues.

However, such projects as Introduction to Probability and Statistics in R
depend upon it for learning. There are a few other resources that also use
it.

Does anyone know of any workarounds?

Someone at stack exchange mentioned using R 2.9. However, that broke my
RStudio (WSOD) and the dependent packages still wouldn't install, anyway.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Best -

Tiby

Re: "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius

> On Nov 1, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Tiby Kantrowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The prob package has been archived because it depends upon some other
> packages which have issues.
>
> However, such projects as Introduction to Probability and Statistics in R
> depend upon it for learning. There are a few other resources that also use
> it.
>
> Does anyone know of any workarounds?
>
> Someone at stack exchange mentioned using R 2.9.

I'm not sure I would trust that person. They seem a bit uninformed.

> However, that broke my
> RStudio (WSOD) and the dependent packages still wouldn't install, anyway.

The latest version of pkg-prob at the Archive directory of CRAN indicates that it was last updated within this year. The DESCRIPTION file indicates that it does not need compilation, but:

Depends: combinat, fAsianOptions

So there should be code in text files in its ../R directory which can be sourced from that directory.

~myuser_name$ ls /Users/../Downloads/prob/R
characteristicfunctions.r simulation.r utils-spaces.r
genData.R spaces-examples.r utils-subsets.r
misc.r spaces-prob.r
prob.r utils-events.r

Or you can install from source after downloading:

install.packages("~/Downloads/prob", repo=NULL,type="source")

# Success

>  library(prob)   # So does require having several other packages

Attaching package: ‘combinat’

The following object is masked from ‘package:utils’:

    combn

Attaching package: ‘timeDate’

The following object is masked from ‘package:cairoDevice’:

    Cairo

The following objects are masked from ‘package:PerformanceAnalytics’:

    kurtosis, skewness

Attaching package: ‘timeSeries’

The following object is masked from ‘package:zoo’:

    time<-

Rmetrics Package fBasics
Analysing Markets and calculating Basic Statistics
Copyright (C) 2005-2014 Rmetrics Association Zurich
Educational Software for Financial Engineering and Computational Science
Rmetrics is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: [hidden email]

Rmetrics Package fOptions
Pricing and Evaluating Basic Options
Copyright (C) 2005-2014 Rmetrics Association Zurich
Educational Software for Financial Engineering and Computational Science
Rmetrics is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: [hidden email]

Attaching package: ‘prob’

The following objects are masked from ‘package:dplyr’:

    intersect, setdiff, union

The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:

    intersect, setdiff, union

> Tiby
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting Guide and learn to post in plain text.

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: "prob" package alternative

Tiby Kantrowitz
The issue is fAsianOptions. Is there a version that works with the latest
version of R? If not, which version of it works with which version of R and
where can it be found? I tried several at the archive already.

Alternatively, is there another package that behaves similarly to prob?

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 6:17 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:
>
>     intersect, setdiff, union
>

> > Tiby
> >
> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting
> Guide and learn to post in plain text.

> posting-guide.html
>
> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 11:15 AM, Tiby Kantrowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The issue is fAsianOptions. Is there a version that works with the latest version of R? If not, which version of it works with which version of R and where can it be found? I tried several at the archive already.

sessionInfo()
R version 3.4.2 Patched (2017-10-04 r73465)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

packageDescription("fAsianOptions")
Package: fAsianOptions
Version: 3010.79
Revision: 5522
Date: 2013-06-23
Title: EBM and Asian Option Valuation
Author: Diethelm Wuertz and many others, see the SOURCE file
Depends: R (>= 2.4.0), timeDate, timeSeries, fBasics, fOptions
Suggests: RUnit
Maintainer: Yohan Chalabi <[hidden email]>
Note: Several parts are still preliminary and may be changed in the future. this
          typically includes function and argument names, as well as defaults for
          arguments and return values.
LazyData: yes
License: GPL (>= 2)
Packaged: 2013-06-23 18:22:14 UTC; yohan
NeedsCompilation: yes
Repository: CRAN
Date/Publication: 2013-06-24 01:53:27
Built: R 3.4.2; x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0; 2017-11-01 22:45:02 UTC; unix

> [...]
> Pricing and Evaluating Basic Options
> Copyright (C) 2005-2014 Rmetrics Association Zurich
> Educational Software for Financial Engineering and Computational Science
> Rmetrics is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: [hidden email]
>
> Attaching package: ‘prob’
>
> The following objects are masked from ‘package:dplyr’:
>
>     intersect, setdiff, union
>
> The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:
>
>     intersect, setdiff, union
>

> > Tiby
> >
> >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting Guide and learn to post in plain text.

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Yes. That's the version I've been discussing that has non-zero exit status.
That situation is why CRAN retired the prob package. It's possible you
installed that library earlier in development and it's been "carried"
along. It no longer installs, now.

The problems with all of this seem to have started this month according to
the conversations. However, no one has mentioned any solutions or
workarounds except the one mentioned in passing (2.9).

Is there some other package that does something similar to prob that can be
used instead?

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 2:29 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Tiby Kantrowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes. That's the version I've been discussing that has non-zero exit status. That situation is why CRAN retired the prob package. It's possible you installed that library earlier in development and it's been "carried" along. It no longer installs, now.
>
> The problems with all of this seem to have started this month according to the conversations. However, no one has mentioned any solutions or workarounds except the one mentioned in passing (2.9).

Not true. Not even close to being true. I explained it all on the SO question page that you posted 2 days ago.

--

David.

> [...]
> > https://www.rmetrics.org --- Mail to: [hidden email]
> >
> > Attaching package: ‘prob’
> >
> > The following objects are masked from ‘package:dplyr’:
> >
> >     intersect, setdiff, union
> >
> > The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:
> >
> >     intersect, setdiff, union
> >

> > > Tiby
> > >
> > >       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
> >
> > A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting Guide and learn to post in plain text.

> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Yes, that is exactly what I was doing two days ago.

Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘fAsianOptions_3010.79.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit
status

Which is what a reading of the explanation for why "prob" was retired leads
one to expect. Do you have some other suggestion about how to get it to
work? I notice you're not using Windows which might have a relationship to
why it is working for you.

Otherwise, do you know of some other package that could be used instead of
prob?

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Tiby Kantrowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I was doing two days ago.
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>   installation of package ‘fAsianOptions_3010.79.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status
>
> Which is what a reading of the explanation for why "prob" was retired leads one to expect. Do you have some other suggestion about how to get it to work? I notice you're not using Windows which might have a relationship to why it is working for you.

I explained what you needed to do if you were on Windows. You do need to read the explanation more closely, identify the parts you don't understand (in all likelihood the point I made about needing the proper development tools for Windows) _and_ read:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Installing-packages

If you have trouble understanding or getting success after thoroughly reading these directions, you need to explain what you have done (preserving the order of all operations) and post a complete transcript of all commands and complete error messages.

--
David.

> [...]
> > >
> > > The following objects are masked from ‘package:dplyr’:
> > >
> > >     intersect, setdiff, union
> > >
> > > The following objects are masked from ‘package:base’:
> > >
> > >     intersect, setdiff, union

> > > A specific suggestion would be that you read the listinfo and the Posting Guide and learn to post in plain text.

> > > David Winsemius
> > > Alameda, CA, USA
> > >
> > > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> > >

> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Rtools is not available for the current version of R.

What I'm looking for is an alternative package or how others have managed
to create workarounds.

Really? If true, I'm surprised and not able to help. I do see an Rtools34.exe at https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
--
David.

> [...]
> > > LazyData: yes
> > > License: GPL (>= 2)
> > > Packaged: 2013-06-23 18:22:14 UTC; yohan
> > > NeedsCompilation: yes
> > > Repository: CRAN
> > > Date/Publication: 2013-06-24 01:53:27
> > > Built: R 3.4.2; x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0; 2017-11-01 22:45:02 UTC; unix

> > > David Winsemius
> > > Alameda, CA, USA
> > >
> > > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> > >

> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Thanks. I found that, and installed it and got the same message. Here:

RTools version 3.4

install.packages("fAsianOptions_3010.tar.gz", dependencies=TRUE,
repos=NULL, type = "source")
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/Tlk7/Documents/R/win-library/3.4’ (as
‘lib’ is unspecified) Warning: invalid package 'fAsianOptions_3010.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified Warning in install.packages : running
command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-34~1.2/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l
"C:\Users\Tlk7\Documents\R\win-library\3.4" "fAsianOptions_3010.tar.gz"'
had status 1 Warning in install.packages : installation of package
‘fAsianOptions_3010.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > >

> > > David Winsemius
> > > Alameda, CA, USA
> > >
> > > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> > >

> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: "prob" package alternative

David Winsemius

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 3:46 PM, Tiby Kantrowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. I found that, and installed it and got the same message. Here:
>
> RTools version 3.4
>
> install.packages("fAsianOptions_3010.tar.gz",

I don't see a path to that file's location.

The expansion from pkg_version.tar.gz might be automatic, but I do generally expand such file into its own directory and then drag that directory icon into the console so my command would look like:

install.packages("~/Downloads/fAsianOptions", dependencies=TRUE, repos=NULL, type = "source")

I suggest you learn to post in plain text since your HTML postings are loosing their carriage returns.

--
David

> [...]
> > David.
> > > Otherwise, do you know of some other package that could be used instead of prob?

> > > Not true. Not even close to being true. I explained it all on the SO question page that you posted 2 days ago.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > David.

> > > David Winsemius
> > > Alameda, CA, USA
> > >
> > > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> > >

> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA
> >
> > 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law
> >

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'   -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

That worked. Thank you, especially for that last one!

So, for others who might encounter this same situation:

1. Install RTools from here:
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/Rtools34.exe
Trying to install Rtools from inside RStudio will result in an "it's not
available for 3.4.2"  message.

2. Install the following dependencies: timeDate, timeSeries, fBasics,
fOptions

3. Download fAsianOptions from here:
https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/fAsianOptions/fAsianOptions_3010.79.tar.gz
and prob from here:
https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/prob/prob_1.0-0.tar.gz

4. Unzip each into its own directory.

5. Use this to install each, as appropriate:
install.packages("~/Downloads/fAsianOptions",
dependencies=TRUE, repos=NULL, type = "source")