read multiple sheets of excel data into R

read multiple sheets of excel data into R

li li-13
Hi all,
  I tried to use the package "XLConnect" to read excel data into R.  I got
the following error message:

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: No CurrentVersion entry in Software/JavaSoft registry! Try
re-installing Java and make sure R and Java have matching
architectures.

  I tried read.xls and got the following error  message:

> library(gdata)> one <- read.xls ("one.xlsx", sheet=1)Error in findPerl(verbose = verbose) :
  perl executable not found. Use perl= argument to specify the correct
path.Error in file.exists(tfn) : invalid 'file' argument

  Can anyone give me some input on this?
  Thanks.
    Hanna

Re: read multiple sheets of excel data into R

Jeff Newmiller
Apparently you need to get your Java runtime setup, or install Perl, depending which of these tools you want to use.

Or if your data are laid out simply, you might be able to use the readxl package.

On May 28, 2016 10:55:50 AM PDT, li li <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I tried to use the package "XLConnect" to read excel data into R.  I
>got
>the following error message:
>
>Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
>  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
>  error: No CurrentVersion entry in Software/JavaSoft registry! Try
>re-installing Java and make sure R and Java have matching
>architectures.
>

>  I tried read.xls and got the following error  message:
>
>> library(gdata)> one <- read.xls ("one.xlsx", sheet=1)Error in
>findPerl(verbose = verbose) :
>  perl executable not found. Use perl= argument to specify the correct
>path.Error in file.exists(tfn) : invalid 'file' argument
>

>  Can anyone give me some input on this?
>  Thanks.
>    Hanna

Re: read multiple sheets of excel data into R

jholtman
Try the 'openxlsx' package.  I gave up using XLConnect because of the Java
requirement, and speed on larger tables. "openxlsx" has the access routines
written in C so you don't need any other outside dependencies.

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru