read.spss warning message (Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file)

read.spss warning message (Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file)

Paul Miller
Hello Everyone,

Trying to help someone recover the contents of an SPSS.sav file using read.spss. This seemed to work well but produced a warning message. My code and the warning are displayed below.

Spent some time looking for previous questions about this warning. Found a lot of questions posted but wasn't able to figure out what the problem is.

Is there anyone out there who can explain what's going wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Paul

> dataSPSS<-read.spss("N:/Mark.sav",to.data.frame = TRUE)
Warning message:
In read.spss("N:/Mark.sav", to.data.frame = TRUE) :
  N:/Mark.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file
> View(dataSPSS)
> write.csv(dataSPSS,"N:/Mark.csv")

Re: read.spss warning message (Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file)

David Winsemius
If you do a search of the archives you will find several similar
questions. As far as I know the answer has generally been unavailable.
It is after all only a warning and you should have gotten uesful
material in the returned value.

--
David.
On Oct 18, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Paul Miller wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Trying to help someone recover the contents of an SPSS.sav file
> using read.spss. This seemed to work well but produced a warning
> message. My code and the warning are displayed below.
>
> Spent some time looking for previous questions about this warning.
> Found a lot of questions posted but wasn't able to figure out what
> the problem is.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can explain what's going wrong and how
> I can fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

>> dataSPSS<-read.spss("N:/Mark.sav",to.data.frame = TRUE)
> Warning message:
> In read.spss("N:/Mark.sav", to.data.frame = TRUE) :
>   N:/Mark.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in
> system file
>> View(dataSPSS)
>> write.csv(dataSPSS,"N:/Mark.csv")

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: read.spss warning message (Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file)

JKPeck
Record 7 is an extension record for the SPSS sav file format.  It is used for new features in order to preserve the ability of older versions of SPSS to read newer files.  I don't recall what subtype 18 is, but in most cases, an unrecognized subtype does not affect the data.