resolving a names conflict

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D.
The survival package uses a generalized cholesky decompostition throughout.  If A is a
symmetric matrix A= LDL' where L is lower triangular with 1s on the diagonal, D is
diagonal, and D[i,i] =0 if column i of A is redundant.  Being able to read the rank and
dependencies directly off of D is very handy.

The bdsmatrix package uses the same, but exposes it to the user as gchol and solve methods
in the NAMESPACE file.

I'd like to expose it in survival as it would make some current development easier.

How do I do this without causing warning messages for anyone who loads both, e.g., anyone
using the coxme package?  The S4 structures are identical, but bdsmatrix has a superset of
methods.   Adding importFrom(bdsmatrix, gchol) is one solution, of course, but it runs
afoul of the current requirement that recommended packages import only from the core set.

Terry T.

Re: resolving a names conflict

Thierry Onkelinx
Dear Terry,

Why not have the required code in survival and use
importFrom(survival, gchol) in bdsmatrix? Since you maintain both,
that shouldn't be too complicated.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
[hidden email]
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey