rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Guido Biele
Hello,

I have an ESRI  ArGis geo database directory which I would like to convert
to geojson or a shape file (or anything else that I can read into R).

Unfortunately that does not work out of the box with rgdal, because it does
not come with the fileGDB or openfileGDB driver.
I could successfully install gdal and the fileGDB driver/extension, but it
seems that i can use gdal only to convert the gdb file to a SQL database.

So before I start to learn about SQL, I thought I ask if anybody can point
me to a tutorial or similar that explains how to convert the contents of a
GDB folder to a R-readable format.

I also wondered if it would be possible to let rgdal know that it could
access the required drivers because I installed them manually.
I would appreciate any hint about this too!

Thanks in advance!
Best Guido

Re: rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Michael Sumner-2
This driver is present in the Windows binary on CRAN (at least it was
in July): https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/attachments/20140710/5dda6bc4/attachment.pl

I'm not sure about on Linux, I thought it was there but I may have
inadvertently switched to an older GDAL on some systems. I can try
this out on a test VM though, I'm keen to have rgal-recipes for
installing on various systems.

Let me know if:
1) you want Windows or Linux
2) you want help building / installing on Linux (Ubuntu)

(Compiling the Windows binary is hard and mysterious, but I'd love to
be able to do that too. I can do all of it except the final .zip
package bundle which I don't understand yet)

Cheers, Mike.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Guido Biele
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an ESRI  ArGis geo database directory which I would like to convert
> to geojson or a shape file (or anything else that I can read into R).
>
> Unfortunately that does not work out of the box with rgdal, because it does
> not come with the fileGDB or openfileGDB driver.
> I could successfully install gdal and the fileGDB driver/extension, but it
> seems that i can use gdal only to convert the gdb file to a SQL database.
>
> So before I start to learn about SQL, I thought I ask if anybody can point
> me to a tutorial or similar that explains how to convert the contents of a
> GDB folder to a R-readable format.
>
> I also wondered if it would be possible to let rgdal know that it could
> access the required drivers because I installed them manually.
> I would appreciate any hint about this too!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best Guido

Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Guido Biele
Thanks,
Now I found the driver in the current rgdal version!

Unfortunately I still can't open the database, even though the OpenfileGDB
driver is used.
When I list the layers
and then try to load one of the layers, I get the error message that no
features are found:

ogrListLayers("Stoy.gdb")
[1] "veg_storbyomrader"         "veg_traffikert_veg"
 "flyplass_store_flyplasser" "bane_storbyomrader"
[5] "bane_traffikert_bane"
attr(,"driver")
[1] "OpenFileGDB"
attr(,"nlayers")
[1] 5
> m = readOGR("Stoy.gdb",layer = "veg_storbyomrader")
Error in readOGR("Stoy.gdb", layer = "veg_storbyomrader") :
  no features found
In addition: Warning message:
In ogrFIDs(dsn = dsn, layer = layer) : no features found

Is this likely due to the database, or could this be a problem with the
driver?

In case that helps, here is the link to the map layer I want to extrac (the
link is to a web page, but I have the data base file).
http://www.miljostatus.no/kart/?lang=no&extent=152517|6532562|210570|6557188&layers=147:46;20:100;138:100;&basemap=KART&opacity=71&saturation=90

Best - Guido

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This driver is present in the Windows binary on CRAN (at least it was
> in July):
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/attachments/20140710/5dda6bc4/attachment.pl
>
> I'm not sure about on Linux, I thought it was there but I may have
> inadvertently switched to an older GDAL on some systems. I can try
> this out on a test VM though, I'm keen to have rgal-recipes for
> installing on various systems.
>
> Let me know if:
> 1) you want Windows or Linux
> 2) you want help building / installing on Linux (Ubuntu)
>
> (Compiling the Windows binary is hard and mysterious, but I'd love to
> be able to do that too. I can do all of it except the final .zip
> package bundle which I don't understand yet)
>
> Cheers, Mike.
>
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Guido Biele
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an ESRI  ArGis geo database directory which I would like to
> convert
> > to geojson or a shape file (or anything else that I can read into R).
> >
> > Unfortunately that does not work out of the box with rgdal, because it
> does
> > not come with the fileGDB or openfileGDB driver.
> > I could successfully install gdal and the fileGDB driver/extension, but
> it
> > seems that i can use gdal only to convert the gdb file to a SQL database.
> >
> > So before I start to learn about SQL, I thought I ask if anybody can
> point
> > me to a tutorial or similar that explains how to convert the contents of
> > GDB folder to a R-readable format.
> >
> > I also wondered if it would be possible to let rgdal know that it could
> > access the required drivers because I installed them manually.
> > I would appreciate any hint about this too!
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Best Guido

> Michael Sumner
> Software and Database Engineer
> Australian Antarctic Division
> Hobart, Australia
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Thierry Onkelinx
Dear Guido,

Do you know how the gdb is stored? I had problems reading for a gdb on our networkdrive. Reading from a local copy worked. It turned out that the original copy on the networkdrive was indexed. Reading an unindexed gdb from the networkdrive was no problem.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
[hidden email]
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

> [...]

> > Unfortunately that does not work out of the box with rgdal, because
> > it
> does
> > not come with the fileGDB or openfileGDB driver.
> > I could successfully install gdal and the fileGDB driver/extension,
> > but
> it
> > seems that i can use gdal only to convert the gdb file to a SQL database.
> >
> > So before I start to learn about SQL, I thought I ask if anybody can
> point
> > me to a tutorial or similar that explains how to convert the
> > contents of
> > GDB folder to a R-readable format.
> >
> > I also wondered if it would be possible to let rgdal know that it
> > could access the required drivers because I installed them manually.
> > I would appreciate any hint about this too!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * D I S C L A I M E R * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dit bericht en eventuele bijlagen geven enkel de visie van de schrijver weer en binden het INBO onder geen enkel beding, zolang dit bericht niet bevestigd is door een geldig ondertekend document.
The views expressed in this message and any annex are purely those of the writer and may not be regarded as stating an official position of INBO, as long as the message is not confirmed by a duly signed document.

Re: rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Guido Biele
Dear Thierry,

thanks for your quick response!
I did try to load a local copy. But that did not work.
There is actually lots of information about the data base online (
http://kart.klif.no/arcgis/rest/services/Miljostatus/Stoysoner_veg/MapServer
)
but none of this seems to be helpful to load the map in R.

Best - Guido

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM, ONKELINX, Thierry <[hidden email]