showing the integrated number by point size

showing the integrated number by point size

Knut Krueger
Is there any function to show the points like this example of SPSS?

http://biostatistic.de/temp/reg.jpg

The point size should represent the number of data at this point.

with regards
Knut Krueger

Re: showing the integrated number by point size

Søren Højsgaard
If number is the number of points, I guess you can write
plot(...., lwd=number)

________________________________

Re: showing the integrated number by point size

barry rowlingson
Knut Krueger wrote:
> Is there any function to show the points like this example of SPSS?
>
> http://biostatistic.de/temp/reg.jpg
>
> The point size should represent the number of data at this point.

plot with cex for the size and pch for solid points:
   xys=data.frame(x=c(0,0,1,2,2,3,3),y=c(0,1,1,1,2,2,3),s=c(4,1,2,1,1,1,2))

plot(xys$x,xys$y,cex=xys$s,pch=19)

or 'symbols', but you need to scale things a bit:

symbols(xys$x,xys$y,circles=xys$s/15,inches=F,bg="black")

Of course if your data is just (x,y) pairs and you want to work out the
counts then that's another problem...

Barry

Re: showing the integrated number by point size

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 17:33 +0100, Knut Krueger wrote:
> Is there any function to show the points like this example of SPSS?
>
> http://biostatistic.de/temp/reg.jpg
>
> The point size should represent the number of data at this point.
>
> with regards
> Knut Krueger

There are a couple of functions in CRAN packages I believe that will do
bubble plots.

You might want to do:

  RSiteSearch("Bubble Plot")

which should help.

A better option from a visualization perspective would be

  ?sunflowerplot

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

Marc Schwartz (via MN) schrieb:

>On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 17:33 +0100, Knut Krueger wrote:
>

>>Is there any function to show the points like this example of SPSS?
>>
>>http://biostatistic.de/temp/reg.jpg
>>
>>The point size should represent the number of data at this point.
>>
>>with regards
>>Knut Krueger
>>

>There are a couple of functions in CRAN packages I believe that will do
>bubble plots.

To know the name of the function is always the problem before i am albe
to seachr for :-(

>You might want to do:
>
>  RSiteSearch("Bubble Plot")

found the solution , thx

>which should help.
>
>A better option from a visualization perspective would be
>
>  ?sunflowerplot

Maybe, but I was told to search for bubbles. I will suggest the sunflowerplots.

Thank you very much
Knut Krueger