string substitution for argument in function

string substitution for argument in function

Pedro Martinez
hello,
I want to iterate through a list of names and use each element as an
argument in a function. For instance:

> a = c('one','two','three')
> data= c()
> for(elem in a){data=cbind(elem = 2,data)}
> data
     elem elem elem
[1,]    2    2    2

instead I want 'elem' to be substituted by the string in the list. Doing
it by hand would be:
> data = cbind('one'=2,data)
> data = cbind('two'=2,data)
> data = cbind('three'=2,data)
> data
     'one' 'two' 'three'
[1,]    2    2    2

I guess that the clue would be in sub(),gsub(), paste() or similar but I
didnt get it to work.

I am comming from python were we woudl do something like:
> a = ['one','two','three']
> data = {}

> for elem in a:
>       data[elem] = 2

> data
{'three': 2, 'two': 2, 'one': 2}

Thanks, Pedro

-
Prof. Dr. P. Martinez Arbizu
DZMB-Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg

Suedstrand 44
D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
Germany

Tel: +49 (0)4421 9475-100
Fax: +49 (0)4421 9475-111

Email: [hidden email]

Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
Senckenberganlage 25
60325 Frankfurt
Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael
Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof.
Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Re: string substitution for argument in function

Weidong Gu-2
Hi,

This may help

 a = c('one','two','three')
data.frame(eval(substitute(rbind(var,2),list(var=a))))

?substitute
?eval

Weidong Gu

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Pedro Martinez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
> I want to iterate through a list of names and use each element as an
> argument in a function. For instance:
>
>> a = c('one','two','three')
>> data= c()
>> for(elem in a){data=cbind(elem = 2,data)}
>> data
>     elem elem elem
> [1,]    2    2    2
>
> instead I want 'elem' to be substituted by the string in the list. Doing
> it by hand would be:
>> data = cbind('one'=2,data)
>> data = cbind('two'=2,data)
>> data = cbind('three'=2,data)
>> data
>     'one' 'two' 'three'
> [1,]    2    2    2
>
> I guess that the clue would be in sub(),gsub(), paste() or similar but I
> didnt get it to work.
>
> I am comming from python were we woudl do something like:
>> a = ['one','two','three']
>> data = {}
>
>> for elem in a:
>>       data[elem] = 2
>
>> data
> {'three': 2, 'two': 2, 'one': 2}
>
> Thanks, Pedro
>

> -
> Prof. Dr. P. Martinez Arbizu
> DZMB-Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg
>
> Suedstrand 44
> D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
> Germany
>
> Tel: +49 (0)4421 9475-100
> Fax: +49 (0)4421 9475-111
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
> Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
> Senckenberganlage 25
> 60325 Frankfurt
> Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael
> Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof.
> Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
> Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
> Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Re: string substitution for argument in function

Henrique Dallazuanna
try this:

`names<-`(rep(2, 3), a)

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Pedro Martinez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
> I want to iterate through a list of names and use each element as an
> argument in a function. For instance:
>
> > a = c('one','two','three')
> > data= c()
> > for(elem in a){data=cbind(elem = 2,data)}
> > data
>     elem elem elem
> [1,]    2    2    2
>
> instead I want 'elem' to be substituted by the string in the list. Doing
> it by hand would be:
> > data = cbind('one'=2,data)
> > data = cbind('two'=2,data)
> > data = cbind('three'=2,data)
> > data
>     'one' 'two' 'three'
> [1,]    2    2    2
>
> I guess that the clue would be in sub(),gsub(), paste() or similar but I
> didnt get it to work.
>
> I am comming from python were we woudl do something like:
> > a = ['one','two','three']
> > data = {}
>
> > for elem in a:
> >       data[elem] = 2
>
> > data
> {'three': 2, 'two': 2, 'one': 2}
>
> Thanks, Pedro
>

> -
> Prof. Dr. P. Martinez Arbizu
> DZMB-Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg
>
> Suedstrand 44
> D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
> Germany
>
> Tel: +49 (0)4421 9475-100
> Fax: +49 (0)4421 9475-111
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
> Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
> Senckenberganlage 25
> 60325 Frankfurt
> Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael
> Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof.
> Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
> Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
> Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O

Re: string substitution for argument in function

Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu
HI, thanks Weidong, Henrique,
this works for the example (may be a bad example, but it should be as
simple as possible),

This is however only a workaround to name the columns of a dataframe,
but is not addressing the problem itself, that is, how can I substitute
a string (used as argument in a function) within a function call in a
for-loop??

I dont know if I have explain myself,

something like this works well:

 > a = c('one','two','three')

>  data= c()
>  for(elem in a){data=cbind('title' = elem,data)}
>  data
      title   title title
[1,] "three" "two" "one"

So I can use 'title' = elem within the function and it will substitute
elem by a name, every loop by a different name of a list.

...but I cannot use the contrary:   elem = 'something' within the
function call.

My real life problem is using randomForest() I want to balance the class
frequency with the argument sampsize = c( 'absent' = 23, elem = 23)
where elem is everytime a different name taken from a list in a for-loop.

Regards Pedro

On 26.03.2012 02:17, Weidong Gu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This may help
>
>   a = c('one','two','three')
> data.frame(eval(substitute(rbind(var,2),list(var=a))))
>
> ?substitute
> ?eval
>
> Weidong Gu
>

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Pedro Martinez
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> hello,
>> I want to iterate through a list of names and use each element as an
>> argument in a function. For instance:
>>
>>> a = c('one','two','three')
>>> data= c()
>>> for(elem in a){data=cbind(elem = 2,data)}
>>> data
>>      elem elem elem
>> [1,]    2    2    2
>>
>> instead I want 'elem' to be substituted by the string in the list. Doing
>> it by hand would be:
>>> data = cbind('one'=2,data)
>>> data = cbind('two'=2,data)
>>> data = cbind('three'=2,data)
>>> data
>>      'one' 'two' 'three'
>> [1,]    2    2    2
>>
>> I guess that the clue would be in sub(),gsub(), paste() or similar but I
>> didnt get it to work.
>>
>> I am comming from python were we woudl do something like:
>>> a = ['one','two','three']
>>> data = {}
>>> for elem in a:
>>>        data[elem] = 2
>>> data
>> {'three': 2, 'two': 2, 'one': 2}
>>
>> Thanks, Pedro
>>

>> -
>> Prof. Dr. P. Martinez Arbizu
>> DZMB-Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg
>>
>> Suedstrand 44
>> D-26382 Wilhelmshaven
>> Germany
>>
>> Tel: +49 (0)4421 9475-100
>> Fax: +49 (0)4421 9475-111
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
>> Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
>> Senckenberganlage 25
>> 60325 Frankfurt
>> Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael
>> Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof.
>> Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
>> Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
>> Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu

Deutsches Zentrum für Marine Biodiversitätsforschung
Senckenberg am Meer
Südstrand 44
26382 Wilhelmshaven
Tel +49 (0)4421 9475 100
Fax +49 (0)4421 9475 111
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.senckenberg.de/root/index.php?page_id=2141

und

C.v.O. Universität Oldenburg
FK V, Institut für Biologie u. Umweltwissenschaften
Ag Marine Biodiversität

Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
Senckenberganlage 25
60325 Frankfurt
Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof. Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Re: string substitution for argument in function

Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu
Me again,
what I really dont understand is the behaivour of R here.
notice, elem is not written in "brackets", why it is interpreted as
string and not as a variable?
I would expect an error "elem not found" because it is not defined as
variable, but in contrary it is accepted as column name, see below:

 > a = c('one','two','three')
 > data =c()
 > data=cbind(elem = 2,data)
 > data
      elem
[1,]    2

 > data=cbind('elem' = 2,data)
 > data
      elem elem
[1,]    2    2

 > elem
Fehler: Objekt 'elem' nicht gefunden

pedro

On 26.03.2012 17:22, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu wrote:

> [...]

26382 Wilhelmshaven
Tel +49 (0)4421 9475 100
Fax +49 (0)4421 9475 111
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.senckenberg.de/root/index.php?page_id=2141

und

C.v.O. Universität Oldenburg
FK V, Institut für Biologie u. Umweltwissenschaften
Ag Marine Biodiversität

Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
Rechtsfähiger Verein gemäß § 22 BGB
Senckenberganlage 25
60325 Frankfurt
Direktorium: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker Mosbrugger, Prof. Dr. Michael Türkay, Dr. Johannes Heilmann, Prof. Dr. Pedro Martinez Arbizu, Prof. Dr. Georg Zizka, Prof. Dr. Uwe Fritz
Vorsitzender des Präsidiums: Dietmar Schmid
Aufsichtsbehörde: Magistrat der Stadt Frankfurt am Main (Ordnungsamt)

Re: string substitution for argument in function

Michael Weylandt
'elem' is an attribute (the name) of the 'data' variable (bad name for
a variable), not something that is independently accessible. By very
(exceptionally!) loose analogy, think of it as being something like a
field/property of an object -- you can't get to it directly (and
that's a good thing) but you can get to it by way of its object.

Internally, it is a string, just not printed as such because its
serving a different purpose than being a string datum.

Hope this helps,
Michael