survival analysis question

R help mailing list-2

When I run the code from the book Kleinbaum "Survival analysis" (7. Running an extended cox model. Page 646) I got an ERROR. What do you think is the reason? I attach a file with few lines of dataset "addicts-dput.r".
> library(cmprsk)
> addicts = read.csv ("addicts.csv")
   id clinic status survt prison dose
1  1      1      1   428      0   50
2  2      1      1   275      1   55
3  3      1      1   262      0   55
4  4      1      1   183      0   30
5  5      1      1   259      1   65
6  6      1      1   714      0   55
7  7      1      1   438      1   65
8  8      1      0   796      1   60
9  9      1      1   892      0   50
> addicts.cp=survSplit(addicts, cut=addicts$survt[addicts$status==1], end="survt", event="status",start="start", id="id")
ERROR in survSplit(addicts, cut = addicts$survt[addicts$status == 1],: the suggested id name is already present.

Re: survival analysis question

Eric Berger
You need to read the Help page for the function survSplit
?survSplit
states that the id argument is a

 "character string with the name of new id variable to create (optional).
This can be useful if the data set does not already contain an identifier"

The addicts data.frame has as its first column 'id', which seems to be the
cause of the ERROR message.

HTH,
Eric

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 5:37 PM Medic via R-help <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When I run the code from the book Kleinbaum "Survival analysis" (7.
> Running an extended cox model. Page 646) I got an ERROR. What do you think
> is the reason? I attach a file with few lines of dataset "addicts-dput.r".
> > library(cmprsk)
> > addicts = read.csv ("addicts.csv")
>    id clinic status survt prison dose
> 1  1      1      1   428      0   50
> 2  2      1      1   275      1   55
> 3  3      1      1   262      0   55
> 4  4      1      1   183      0   30
> 5  5      1      1   259      1   65
> 6  6      1      1   714      0   55
> 7  7      1      1   438      1   65
> 8  8      1      0   796      1   60
> 9  9      1      1   892      0   50
> > addicts.cp=survSplit(addicts, cut=addicts$survt[addicts$status==1],
> end="survt", event="status",start="start", id="id")
> ERROR in survSplit(addicts, cut = addicts$survt[addicts$status == 1],: the
> suggested id name is already present.

Re: survival analysis question

R help mailing list-2
Thank You,Eric. I run this code without id="id" and it worked!

Eric Berger <[hidden email]>:
<The addicts data.frame has as its first column 'id', which seems to be the cause of the ERROR message.>

<When I run code, I got the ERROR: