tcl/tk - Install problem using MacOS X / X11

tcl/tk - Install problem using MacOS X / X11

Achim Kayser
Hi

Sorry, my first post was in German.

I tried to get Rcmdr running under MacOS X 10.4.5. While RGui pretends
that tcltk is running, starting Rcmdr freezes R completely.
Instead, JGR which gave me the following results:

 > library(tcltk)
$DISPLAY environment variable
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'tcltk'

I tried

Sys.putenv("DISPLAY"=":0")

which indeed resulted in a line in Rprofile:

## non standard settings for the R.app GUI of the Mac OS X port
if(.Platform$GUI == "AQUA") {
     ## this is set to let RAqua use both X11 device and
     ## X11/TclTk
     if (Sys.getenv("DISPLAY") == "")
        Sys.putenv("DISPLAY" = ":0")

     ## this is to allow g77 compiler to work
     Sys.putenv("PATH" = paste(Sys.getenv("PATH"),":/usr/local/bin",sep
= ""))
}## end "Aqua"

Anay ideas what`s wrong ?

Regards

Achim

Hallo !

Ich habe versucht Rcmdr unter MacOSX 10.4.5 zu installieren. RGui zeigt
an, dass tcl/tk laufen. Bei Aufruf von Rcmdr friert R jedoch komplett ein.
JGR zeigt im Paketmanager dagegen an, dass tcl/tk nicht gestartet werden
konnte und spuckt folgende Meldung aus:

> library(tcltk)
$DISPLAY environment variable
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'tcltk'

Ideen ?

Achim

Re: tcl/tk - Install problem using MacOS X / X11

Fox, John
Dear Achim,

I'm not a Mac user, so can only offer limited help, but I wonder whether
you've looked at the Rcmdr installation notes at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>?
There are instructions there for getting the Rcmdr package working on Macs.

I hope that this helps,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology