trouble with R CMD SHLIB on winXP

j. signorovitch
Hi,

Has anyone come across this difficulty using R-2.2.1 in Windows XP:

when I try to run

R CMD SHLIB mycode.c

I get the response:

"The system cannot execute the specified program."

I've tried installing all windows updates, reinstalling R and putting
"R-2.2.1\bin" at the head of my path.

Googling that error message leads to lots of stuff about *.manifest
files.  The Rgui.exe.manifest etc. files are in my /bin directory.

Funny thing is I have been using SHLIB for ~2 years on this system, up
to several month ago, without difficulty.

Jacob

Re: trouble with R CMD SHLIB on winXP

Brian Ripley
We don't know from this what the `specified program' is, but it probably
means that a DLL cannot be found on your path.

It is probable that your PATH is set up incorrectly, so please check with
the R-admin manual extremely carefully.  In particular, that you really do
have a complete unpacked tools.zip at the head of your path and that you
do not also have Cygwin on your path.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, j. signorovitch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come across this difficulty using R-2.2.1 in Windows XP:
>
> when I try to run
>
> R CMD SHLIB mycode.c
>
> I get the response:
>
> "The system cannot execute the specified program."
>
> I've tried installing all windows updates, reinstalling R and putting
> "R-2.2.1\bin" at the head of my path.
>
> Googling that error message leads to lots of stuff about *.manifest
> files.  The Rgui.exe.manifest etc. files are in my /bin directory.

Really?  *.manifest files need to be in the same directory as the
executables they refer to, that's all.  I think you have found hits
related to Visual .NET, which is not in use.