Quantcast

unable to access index for repository

Kalicin, Sarah
Hi,
I have two questions:

1)      Since I switched to Windows 2007 and downloaded the current R version (2.12.1; 2010-12-16) for Windows 7 a month ago, I cannot down load packages through the GUI drop down menu. I get: Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.12

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.12

Warning messages:

1: In open.connection(con, "r") :

  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

In fact, just to assign the CRAN location in the drop down menu takes forever. From web searches, the first check is to see if you have internet access. I do and can download the packages directly to my hard drive and load them indirectly into R by using library(MASS, lib.loc="C:\\Users\\R\\R packages"). This is starting to become a pain. Any suggestions on looking at potential security settings that I might need to deactiviate or any other issues?

2)      Any suggestions how I can connect to a MySQL database through windows using R. I found this example on the web, but there is not a package for RMYSQL for windows. Bugger!!!

library(RMySQL)

drv = dbDriver("MySQL")

con = dbConnect(drv,host="mars",dbname="sat133",user="sat133",pass="T0pSecr3t")

album = dbGetQuery(con,statement="select * from tasks")

Thanks for any input!!

Sarah

Re: unable to access index for repository

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-02-25 6:15 PM, Kalicin, Sarah wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two questions:
>

> 1)      Since I switched to Windows 2007 and downloaded the current R version (2.12.1; 2010-12-16) for Windows 7 a month ago, I cannot down load packages through the GUI drop down menu. I get: Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.12
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.12
>
> Warning messages:
>
> 1: In open.connection(con, "r") :
>
>    unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
>
> In fact, just to assign the CRAN location in the drop down menu takes forever. From web searches, the first check is to see if you have internet access. I do and can download the packages directly to my hard drive and load them indirectly into R by using library(MASS, lib.loc="C:\\Users\\R\\R packages"). This is starting to become a pain. Any suggestions on looking at potential security settings that I might need to deactiviate or any other issues?

You've probably got a firewall or proxy getting in the way.  You could
re-install R with the "internet2" option, or run setInternet2(TRUE) in a
session to fix this.  (Or maybe you already did that, in which case
setInternet2(FALSE) will turn it off.)

> 2)      Any suggestions how I can connect to a MySQL database through windows using R. I found this example on the web, but there is not a package for RMYSQL for windows. Bugger!!!
>
> library(RMySQL)
>
> drv = dbDriver("MySQL")
>
> con = dbConnect(drv,host="mars",dbname="sat133",user="sat133",pass="T0pSecr3t")
>
> album = dbGetQuery(con,statement="select * from tasks")

Install an ODBC driver for MySQL, and use RODBC.

Duncan Murdoch