unable to move temporary installation of package

unable to move temporary installation of package

Paul Lantos
I'm running Windows 10 / R Studio / R Open 3.4.3

Since getting a new computer recently I cannot install packages into my personal libpath directory, and I can't seem to update packages (it says all packages are up to date even if I manually install an old version). I've got 100% admin rights on the computer and in the library folder, I've set my R environment variable to specify the correct directory, I can freely move things manually in and out of the library if needed, and R can read and use any package that's already in there. But I can't install or I get the "unable to move" error.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, tried this in non-Studio sessions using both R Open and regular R 3.4.4, and I get the same error.

Thanks for any help,

Paul Lantos

Paul M. Lantos, MD, MS GIS, FIDSA, FAAP, FACP
Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
  Pediatric Infectious Diseases
  General Internal Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Duke Global Health Institute

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Jeff Newmiller
A) Don't try to "move" packages from one library (=directory of installed packages) to another.

B) Although R Open is very close to CRAN R, it has some differences that you REALLY NEED TO READ about at their website. Pay particular attention to the checkpoint feature in this case. Note that troubles installing it or with the MKL are probably off-topic here, though R language questions should still be fair game.

C) Having Administrator rights carries at least as much responsibility to know what you are doing BEFORE you do it as it bestows flexibility to get things done. If you used "Run As Administrator" to install R or any packages then you have probably set the permissions on your personal library inappropriately. If so, you need to use your superpowers judiciously to eliminate your personal library completely and then run R as a normal user to install/update R packages.

On March 26, 2018 12:16:02 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm running Windows 10 / R Studio / R Open 3.4.3
>

>Since getting a new computer recently I cannot install packages into my
>personal libpath directory, and I can't seem to update packages (it
>says all packages are up to date even if I manually install an old
>version). I've got 100% admin rights on the computer and in the library
>folder, I've set my R environment variable to specify the correct
>directory, I can freely move things manually in and out of the library
>if needed, and R can read and use any package that's already in there.
>But I can't install or I get the "unable to move" error.
>

>I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, tried this in non-Studio
>sessions using both R Open and regular R 3.4.4, and I get the same
>error.
>

>Thanks for any help,
>
>Paul Lantos

>Paul M. Lantos, MD, MS GIS, FIDSA, FAAP, FACP
>Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
>  Pediatric Infectious Diseases
>  General Internal Medicine
>Duke University School of Medicine
>Duke Global Health Institute

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Paul Lantos
Thanks Jeff,

 So I initially when I got the computer moved my old packages into the new directory rather than downloading and installing them again. That was fine. I then just did a test to see if I could write in the folder and indeed I can. Just not via R.

 I uninstalled R Open, installed R 3.4.4, and the problem persisted, including just running it from the R console rather than from R Studio.

 I haven't done anything (like installations) with administrator rights - I just have them. That said I've checked the permissions of the library folder and I have all permission. I don't run R in any special way.

 So I'm not sure where that leaves me... thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

A) Don't try to "move" packages from one library (=directory of installed packages) to another.

B) Although R Open is very close to CRAN R, it has some differences that you REALLY NEED TO READ about at their website. Pay particular attention to the checkpoint feature in this case. Note that troubles installing it or with the MKL are probably off-topic here, though R language questions should still be fair game.

C) Having Administrator rights carries at least as much responsibility to know what you are doing BEFORE you do it as it bestows flexibility to get things done. If you used "Run As Administrator" to install R or any packages then you have probably set the permissions on your personal library inappropriately. If so, you need to use your superpowers judiciously to eliminate your personal library completely and then run R as a normal user to install/update R packages.

On March 26, 2018 12:16:02 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm running Windows 10 / R Studio / R Open 3.4.3
>

>Since getting a new computer recently I cannot install packages into my
>personal libpath directory, and I can't seem to update packages (it
>says all packages are up to date even if I manually install an old
>version). I've got 100% admin rights on the computer and in the library
>folder, I've set my R environment variable to specify the correct
>directory, I can freely move things manually in and out of the library
>if needed, and R can read and use any package that's already in there.
>But I can't install or I get the "unable to move" error.
>

>I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, tried this in non-Studio
>sessions using both R Open and regular R 3.4.4, and I get the same
>error.
>

>Thanks for any help,
>
>Paul Lantos

>Paul M. Lantos, MD, MS GIS, FIDSA, FAAP, FACP Associate Professor of
>Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
>  Pediatric Infectious Diseases
>  General Internal Medicine
>Duke University School of Medicine
>Duke Global Health Institute
>_posting-2Dguide.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_g
>Z4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=twuFRS-tVJfQuRzjI
>S0GBC710QPtmpe1rDy5PNvS-GI&s=sY7Wm-L9iESeuqa2CevDBwLsBx06RewTYq2-DFg9KM
>U&e= and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Jeff Newmiller
Perhaps someone here will see something useful if you post the output of the following function calls:

sessionInfo()
.libPaths()
file.info(.libPaths())

and the verbatim (copied) error (in context) that you are seeing.

On March 26, 2018 6:27:10 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Jeff,
>
>So I initially when I got the computer moved my old packages into the
>new directory rather than downloading and installing them again. That
>was fine. I then just did a test to see if I could write in the folder
>and indeed I can. Just not via R.
>
>I uninstalled R Open, installed R 3.4.4, and the problem persisted,
>including just running it from the R console rather than from R Studio.
>
>I haven't done anything (like installations) with administrator rights
>- I just have them. That said I've checked the permissions of the
>library folder and I have all permission. I don't run R in any special
>way.
>
> So I'm not sure where that leaves me... thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Paul

Ok, thanks --

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.4.4 (2018-03-15)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows >= 8 x64 (build 9200)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_3.4.4 tools_3.4.4    yaml_2.1.14
> .libPaths()
[1] "C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4" "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library"
> file.info(.libPaths())
                                          size isdir mode               mtime               ctime               atime
C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4    0  TRUE  777 2018-03-27 10:21:39 2017-12-28 22:20:55 2018-03-27 10:21:39
C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library           0  TRUE  777 2018-03-25 21:23:45 2018-03-25 21:23:08 2018-03-25 21:23:45
                                          exe
C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4  no
Perhaps someone here will see something useful if you post the output of the following function calls:

sessionInfo()
.libPaths()
file.info(.libPaths())

and the verbatim (copied) error (in context) that you are seeing.

On March 26, 2018 6:27:10 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Jeff,
>
>So I initially when I got the computer moved my old packages into the
>new directory rather than downloading and installing them again. That
>was fine. I then just did a test to see if I could write in the folder
>and indeed I can. Just not via R.
>
>I uninstalled R Open, installed R 3.4.4, and the problem persisted,
>including just running it from the R console rather than from R Studio.
>
>I haven't done anything (like installations) with administrator rights
>- I just have them. That said I've checked the permissions of the
>library folder and I have all permission. I don't run R in any special
>way.
>
> So I'm not sure where that leaves me... thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Paul

Nothing jumps out at me yet.

1) You missed including the text of your command (presumably
install.packages) along with the actual text of the error.

2) What is the output of:

getOption("repos")

3) You might also consider looking at

system2( "cacls.exe", .libPaths()[1] )

though we may not be able to interpret the output appropriately in this
venue if you are working on a managed computer... you might need local
help. I would guess you would need "yourdomain\youruser:(OI)(CI)F".

Note that your personal R library is not deleted when you uninstall R...
if you have not yet deleted C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4
and let R re-create it then uninstalling would not have helped a
permissions problem.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Ok, thanks --
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.4.4 (2018-03-15)
> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
> Running under: Windows >= 8 x64 (build 9200)
>
> Matrix products: default
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

> [1] compiler_3.4.4 tools_3.4.4    yaml_2.1.14
>> .libPaths()
> [1] "C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4" "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library"
>> file.info(.libPaths())
>                                          size isdir mode               mtime               ctime               atime
> C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4    0  TRUE  777 2018-03-27 10:21:39 2017-12-28 22:20:55 2018-03-27 10:21:39
> C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library           0  TRUE  777 2018-03-25 21:23:45 2018-03-25 21:23:08 2018-03-25 21:23:45
>                                          exe
> C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4  no

>>> g
>>> _posting-2Dguide.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_
>>> g
>>> Z4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=twuFRS-tVJfQuRzj
>>> I
>>> S0GBC710QPtmpe1rDy5PNvS-GI&s=sY7Wm-L9iESeuqa2CevDBwLsBx06RewTYq2-DFg9K
>>> M U&e= and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible
>> code.

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Paul Lantos
Thanks,

Here's the error, for example:

> install.packages("mgcv")
Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
(as 'lib' is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/bin/windows/contrib/3.4/mgcv_1.8-23.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
downloaded 2.6 MB

package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning in install.packages :
  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages

> getOption("repos")
                                CRAN                            CRANextra
"https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/" "http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin"
attr(,"RStudio")
[1] TRUE

I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.

Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.

Paul

1) You missed including the text of your command (presumably
install.packages) along with the actual text of the error.

2) What is the output of:

getOption("repos")

3) You might also consider looking at

system2( "cacls.exe", .libPaths()[1] )

though we may not be able to interpret the output appropriately in this venue if you are working on a managed computer... you might need local help. I would guess you would need "yourdomain\youruser:(OI)(CI)F".

Note that your personal R library is not deleted when you uninstall R...
if you have not yet deleted C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4
and let R re-create it then uninstalling would not have helped a permissions problem.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Ok, thanks --
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.4.4 (2018-03-15)
> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit) Running under: Windows >= 8
> x64 (build 9200)
>
> Matrix products: default
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
> States.1252 [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

> [1] compiler_3.4.4 tools_3.4.4    yaml_2.1.14
>> .libPaths()
> [1] "C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4" "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library"
>> file.info(.libPaths())
>                                          size isdir mode               mtime               ctime               atime
> C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4    0  TRUE  777 2018-03-27 10:21:39 2017-12-28 22:20:55 2018-03-27 10:21:39
> C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.4/library           0  TRUE  777 2018-03-25 21:23:45 2018-03-25 21:23:08 2018-03-25 21:23:45
>                                          exe
> C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4  no

Kevin E. Thorpe
I have seen that error from students trying to install, usually from the
Rcpp package.

One suggestion I received was to try disabling your virus scanner while
doing the install. The reason being that the scanner has not completed
its job by the time the installer wants to move stuff around.

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Jeff Newmiller
Do you have other instances of R open at the time you are doing this? Did
you already have mgcv installed in your personal library when you tried
installing it again?

There is clearly something preventing you from writing to your library, or
at least to specific packages in your library.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Here's the error, for example:
>
>> install.packages("mgcv")
> Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/bin/windows/contrib/3.4/mgcv_1.8-23.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
> downloaded 2.6 MB
>
> package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning in install.packages :
>  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages
>>

>> getOption("repos")
>                                CRAN                            CRANextra
> "https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/" "http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin"
> attr(,"RStudio")
> [1] TRUE
>
> I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.
>

> Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I
> get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my
> desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.
>
> Paul

No other instances of R running, and I get the same error with any installation, new or old.

Do you have other instances of R open at the time you are doing this? Did
you already have mgcv installed in your personal library when you tried
installing it again?

There is clearly something preventing you from writing to your library, or
at least to specific packages in your library.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Here's the error, for example:
>
>> install.packages("mgcv")
> Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_bin_windows_contrib_3.4_mgcv-5F1.8-2D23.zip&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=WY21_BHbK9IkP-8et8jU7l6Pm7_pSyImUZruBbgoX3Y&e='
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
> downloaded 2.6 MB
>
> package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning in install.packages :
>  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
>        C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages
>>

>> getOption("repos")
>                                CRAN                            CRANextra
> "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=MWGJrHQcUlS2AM48C7B_HqF-Lb5TFwTCfan__4KRZ44&e=" "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stats.ox.ac.uk_pub_RWin&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=IO53ger_SKjv4l1y9s2_ZsB8_KlSNeQ_eN9Coj9coNY&e="
> attr(,"RStudio")
> [1] TRUE
>
> I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.
>

> Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I
> get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my
> desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.
>
> Paul

I deleted my library, reinstalled R, and had the same issue -- couldn't install anything into its newly created library.

Do you have other instances of R open at the time you are doing this? Did you already have mgcv installed in your personal library when you tried installing it again?

There is clearly something preventing you from writing to your library, or at least to specific packages in your library.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Here's the error, for example:
>
>> install.packages("mgcv")
> Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_bin_windows_contrib_3.4_mgcv-5F1.8-2D23.zip&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=WY21_BHbK9IkP-8et8jU7l6Pm7_pSyImUZruBbgoX3Y&e='
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
> downloaded 2.6 MB
>
> package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked Warning in
> install.packages :
>  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages
>>

>> getOption("repos")
>                                CRAN                            CRANextra
> "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=MWGJrHQcUlS2AM48C7B_HqF-Lb5TFwTCfan__4KRZ44&e=" "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stats.ox.ac.uk_pub_RWin&d=DwIBAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=cnrBOleGliiFa8hOlBIzbkSfykST3IYxYCJFIogIDYg&s=IO53ger_SKjv4l1y9s2_ZsB8_KlSNeQ_eN9Coj9coNY&e="
> attr(,"RStudio")
> [1] TRUE
>
> I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.
>

> Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I
> get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my
> desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.
>
> Paul

Have you investigated the issue Kevin Thorpe suggested?

On March 27, 2018 2:31:31 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I deleted my library, reinstalled R, and had the same issue -- couldn't
>install anything into its newly created library.

I don't believe I've gotten a reply from a Kevin Thorpe.

Have you investigated the issue Kevin Thorpe suggested?

On March 27, 2018 2:31:31 PM PDT, Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I deleted my library, reinstalled R, and had the same issue -- couldn't
>install anything into its newly created library.

Peter Dalgaard-2
Everyone else did, and you were on the list of recipients... Check your spam folder and/or the list archive.

-pd

> On 28 Mar 2018, at 01:32 , Paul Lantos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't believe I've gotten a reply from a Kevin Thorpe.

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: unable to move temporary installation of package

Paul Lantos
Thanks, Kevin. I have done that but no luck.
Paul

I have seen that error from students trying to install, usually from the Rcpp package.

One suggestion I received was to try disabling your virus scanner while doing the install. The reason being that the scanner has not completed its job by the time the installer wants to move stuff around.

Kevin

On 03/27/2018 01:14 PM, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Here's the error, for example:
>
>> install.packages("mgcv")
> Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_bin_windows_contrib_3.4_mgcv-5F1.8-2D23.zip&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=_oH3hPXmUvvElYCBZg_LBSX0-ZF3XUqACxmRdV1Gzso&e='
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
> downloaded 2.6 MB
>
> package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked Warning in
> install.packages :
>    unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages
>>

>> getOption("repos")
>                                  CRAN                            CRANextra
> "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=vmRVCTk6BWFZihnxWmmt3Y-Jiz-XaemOdukRPfySpEY&e=" "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stats.ox.ac.uk_pub_RWin&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=BUJFWakLtQSrcVuTuqJ-PPtwzHo5pfFje9q2D18Fs-Y&e="
> attr(,"RStudio")
> [1] TRUE
>
> I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.
>

> Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.
>
> Paul

I think MalwareBytes may have been the culprit. I disabled it and it's working now (even with my regular antivirus running).

Thanks all for the advice!
Paul

Thanks, Kevin. I have done that but no luck.
Paul

I have seen that error from students trying to install, usually from the Rcpp package.

One suggestion I received was to try disabling your virus scanner while doing the install. The reason being that the scanner has not completed its job by the time the installer wants to move stuff around.

Kevin

On 03/27/2018 01:14 PM, Paul Lantos wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Here's the error, for example:
>
>> install.packages("mgcv")
> Installing package into 'C:/Users/pl39/Documents/R/win-library/3.4'
> (as 'lib' is unspecified)
> trying URL 'https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_bin_windows_contrib_3.4_mgcv-5F1.8-2D23.zip&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=_oH3hPXmUvvElYCBZg_LBSX0-ZF3XUqACxmRdV1Gzso&e='
> Content type 'application/zip' length 2775362 bytes (2.6 MB)
> downloaded 2.6 MB
>
> package 'mgcv' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked Warning in
> install.packages :
>    unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file1f287a90e67\mgcv' to 'C:\Users\pl39\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\mgcv'
>
> The downloaded binary packages are in
> C:\Users\pl39\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpWorMmU\downloaded_packages
>>

>> getOption("repos")
>                                  CRAN                            CRANextra
> "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.nics.utk.edu_cran_&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=vmRVCTk6BWFZihnxWmmt3Y-Jiz-XaemOdukRPfySpEY&e=" "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stats.ox.ac.uk_pub_RWin&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=5-qaO5WU1pkjvRmIviMw3IowdsiGfP6AgLhJVhucBw8&s=BUJFWakLtQSrcVuTuqJ-PPtwzHo5pfFje9q2D18Fs-Y&e="
> attr(,"RStudio")
> [1] TRUE
>
> I've used different CRAN mirrors though and gotten the same error.
>

> Would you suggest deleting my personal directory and recreating it? I get the same error if I try and install packages to my documents, my desktop, wherever, so I sort of doubt that would fix the problem.
>
> Paul

I am glad you found the culprit. I will tuck that additional piece of
info away for the next time my students have trouble.

Kevin