unexported symbols in libR.so of r-devel

unexported symbols in libR.so of r-devel

Na Li

Thanks to Matthias Burger, I came to know that in r-devel, a lot of symbols
are no longer exported in libR.so, which breaks the package rpvm since it
calls these functions in serialize.c.

R_InitInPStream
R_InitOutPStream

Since the change is fairly recent (earlier this month), I guess the core team
will be making further changes.  In any case, please add these two to the
exported list.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: unexported symbols in libR.so of r-devel

Brian Ripley
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Na Li wrote:

> Thanks to Matthias Burger, I came to know that in r-devel, a lot of symbols
> are no longer exported in libR.so, which breaks the package rpvm since it
> calls these functions in serialize.c.

They are hidden.  Since they are in Rinternals.h, this was unintentional,
although they are not part of R's declared API and so are at risk (see
Writing R Extensions).

Just remove 'attribute_hidden' (which I have done in the sources)

> R_InitInPStream
> R_InitOutPStream
>
> Since the change is fairly recent (earlier this month), I guess the core team
> will be making further changes.  In any case, please add these two to the
> exported list.

No more changes are planned.

> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Re: unexported symbols in libR.so of r-devel

Matthias Burger-2

sorry for the late reply. I now had time to check again using
R devel  (2006-01-26 r37181)
and succeeded in loading package rpvm.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

  Matthias

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Na Li wrote:
>

>> Thanks to Matthias Burger, I came to know that in r-devel, a lot of
>> symbols
>> are no longer exported in libR.so, which breaks the package rpvm since it
>> calls these functions in serialize.c.
>

> They are hidden.  Since they are in Rinternals.h, this was unintentional,
> although they are not part of R's declared API and so are at risk (see
> Writing R Extensions).
>
> Just remove 'attribute_hidden' (which I have done in the sources)
>
>> R_InitInPStream
>> R_InitOutPStream
>>
>> Since the change is fairly recent (earlier this month), I guess the
>> core team
>> will be making further changes.  In any case, please add these two to the
>> exported list.
>

> No more changes are planned.
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael

Matthias Burger                     Project Manager/ Biostatistician
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
phone:+49-30-24345-371                          fax:+49-30-24345-555
http://www.epigenomics.com           [hidden email]