update R version in windows

stephenb
Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
Thank you.

Stephen B

Re: update R version in windows

Michael Dewey-3
Dear Stephen

Does section 2.8 in the Windows FAQ help you?

Michael

On 10/11/2017 16:49, Bond, Stephen wrote:

> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
> Thank you.
>
> Stephen B

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: update R version in windows

Bert Gunter-2
?update.packages

Should take care of packages. Manually reinstalling R binaries seems
straightforward enough that it isn't much of a burden; but installing from
source may be a different story, depending on your OS.

The RStudio interface automates much of this, but it may not be enough for
you or what you want.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Bond, Stephen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update
> all packages from the old version?
> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
> Thank you.
>
> Stephen B

> posting-guide.html

Re: update R version in windows

Richard M. Heiberger
Try the installr package. It was designed for this purpose.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bond, Stephen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
> Thank you.
>
> Stephen B

Re: update R version in windows

J C Nash
However, trying this on Linux Mint gave

  package ‘installr’ is not available (for R version 3.4.2)

Has the package not been updated yet?

JN

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bond, Stephen <Stephen.Bond at cibc.com> wrote:
> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
> Thank you.
>
> Stephen B

Re: update R version in windows

Richard M. Heiberger
installr is Windows-specific.  From the DESCRIPTION
OS_type:windows

I would guess that some of it would work on other OS, but you would
have to check.
If it looks useful elsewhere you should tell Tal
Maintainer:Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com>

Rich

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 1:18 PM, J C Nash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, trying this on Linux Mint gave
>
>   package ‘installr’ is not available (for R version 3.4.2)
>
> Has the package not been updated yet?
>

> JN
>

> Try the installr package. It was designed for this purpose.
>
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bond, Stephen <Stephen.Bond at cibc.com> wrote:
>> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
>> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Stephen B

Re: update R version in windows

stephenb
This issue does not exist on Linux. My Ubuntu updates both R and all packages.

Stephen B

  package ‘installr’ is not available (for R version 3.4.2)

Has the package not been updated yet?

JN

Try the installr package. It was designed for this purpose.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bond, Stephen <Stephen.Bond at cibc.com> wrote:
> Is there a utility which will allow me to upgrade my R version and update all packages from the old version?
> If I manually upgrade, then I have to manually re-install 50 packages.
> Thank you.
>
> Stephen B

Re: update R version in windows

stephenb
Thanks Caitlin and Richard MH. Works great.

Stephen

Re: update R version in windows

Jeff Newmiller
That only works if you use apt-get for all package installs... I don't even know if that is possible. Use of install.packages within R works the same on all platforms... that is, upgrading R by a minor version (3.3 to 3.4) causes R to go looking for user-installed packages in a new library directory, while patchlevel upgrades (3.4.1 to 3.4.2) keep using the same library directory (read the R Installation and Administration Manual).