update from tar.gz in local directory on Unix/Solaris

Threaded

update from tar.gz in local directory on Unix/Solaris

Christian Hoffmann
Hi list,

I have not been successful in finding out from the available
documentation how under Unix/Solaris to update a packages which I
downloaded from the net as the original *.tar.gz and stored in a local
file, say

(1) home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/Sources/pack.tar.gz

A lot of installed libraries are residing in

(2) home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/library/

but it is unclear to me, how to proceed, since in "Usage"

update.packages(lib.loc = NULL, repos = CRAN,

it says

"lib.loc character vector describing the location of R library trees to
search through (and update packages therein)."

CRAN packages are residing in

(3) usr/local/lib/R/library/

How should I state my wish for "pack" to reside in (3) which I cannot
manipulate directly (I am not an administrator).

Is

install.packages("/home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/Sources/pack.tar.gz",repos=NULL)

correct?

Thanks for pointers and help
Christian
--
Dr. Christian W. Hoffmann,
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL

Tel +41-44-7392-277  (office)   -111(exchange)
Fax +41-44-7392-215  (fax)
[hidden email]
http://www.wsl.ch/staff/christian.hoffmann

International Conference 5.-7.6.2006 Ekaterinburg Russia
"Climate changes and their impact on boreal and temperate forests"
http://ecoinf.uran.ru/conference/

Threaded

Re: update from tar.gz in local directory on Unix/Solaris

Prof Brian Ripley
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Christian Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have not been successful in finding out from the available
> documentation how under Unix/Solaris to update a packages which I
> downloaded from the net as the original *.tar.gz and stored in a local
> file, say

What does 'update' mean here?  Do you want to install those, or install
later versions from CRAN, or what?

update.packages() is about updating from a repository, which you do not
have, AFAICS.

> (1) home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/Sources/pack.tar.gz

I presume all your paths are missing a leading / ?

> A lot of installed libraries are residing in
>
> (2) home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/library/
>
> but it is unclear to me, how to proceed, since in "Usage"
>
> update.packages(lib.loc = NULL, repos = CRAN,
>
> it says
>
> "lib.loc character vector describing the location of R library trees to
> search through (and update packages therein)."
>
> CRAN packages are residing in
>
> (3) usr/local/lib/R/library/
>
> How should I state my wish for "pack" to reside in (3) which I cannot
> manipulate directly (I am not an administrator).

You can state it, but it cannot be fulfilled. It would be lib.loc=.Library
or lib.loc="/usr/local/lib/R/library/"

> Is
>

> install.packages("/home/woodstock/hoffmacw/R/Sources/pack.tar.gz",repos=NULL)
>
> correct?

Probably not, as you need to give a library tree to install into, one with
suitable permissions.  To give a real example,

install.packages("/users/ripley/R/packages/contrib/ash_1.0-9.tar.gz",
                  lib="~/R/library", repos=NULL)