update numeric values of list with new values...

update numeric values of list with new values...

Evan Cooch
Suppose I have the following:

test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)

I also have a vector (or list, or something else...) with new numbers

new <- c(4,5,6)

What I'm trying to figure out is how to take the list, and update the
numbers from {1,2,3} to {4,5,6}

So, in the end,I want the 'update' test list to look like

(a=4,a=5,a=6)

I tried a bunch of obvious things I know about 'replacing' things
(without success), but the problem in this instance seems to be the fact
that the list contains elements that are expressions (a=1, a=2,...),
while the new vector is simply a set of numbers.

So, I want to change the numbers in the list, but retain the character
parts of the expressions in the list (I need to have the list of
expressions as is for other purposes).

Doable?

Thanks in advance...

Re: update numeric values of list with new values...

Evan Cooch
Solved it:

test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)
new <- c(4,5,6)

hold <- as.list(new)
updated_test <- replace(test,c(1:3),hold)

$a
[1] 4

$b
[1] 5

$c
[1] 6

mean.parms <- as.list(mean.parms)

mm.parms <- replace(far.parms,c(1:length(far.parms)),mean.parms)

On 9/22/2017 10:34 AM, Evan Cooch wrote:

> Suppose I have the following:
>
> test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)
>
> I also have a vector (or list, or something else...) with new numbers
>
> new <- c(4,5,6)
>
> What I'm trying to figure out is how to take the list, and update the
> numbers from {1,2,3} to {4,5,6}
>
> So, in the end,I want the 'update' test list to look like
>
> (a=4,a=5,a=6)
>
> I tried a bunch of obvious things I know about 'replacing' things
> (without success), but the problem in this instance seems to be the
> fact that the list contains elements that are expressions (a=1,
> a=2,...), while the new vector is simply a set of numbers.
>
> So, I want to change the numbers in the list, but retain the character
> parts of the expressions in the list (I need to have the list of
> expressions as is for other purposes).
>
> Doable?
>
> Thanks in advance...

Re: update numeric values of list with new values...

Bert Gunter-2
Well,  that's a bit like driving from Boston to New York by way of Chicago.

See ?structure

test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)
new <- c(4,5,6)
test.new <- structure(as.list(new), names=names(test))
test.new
$a
[1] 4

$b
[1] 5

$c
[1] 6

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Evan Cooch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Solved it:
>
> test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)
> new <- c(4,5,6)
>
> hold <- as.list(new)
> updated_test <- replace(test,c(1:3),hold)
>
> $a
> [1] 4
>
> $b
> [1] 5
>
> $c
> [1] 6
>

> mean.parms <- as.list(mean.parms)
>
> mm.parms <- replace(far.parms,c(1:length(far.parms)),mean.parms)
>

> On 9/22/2017 10:34 AM, Evan Cooch wrote:
>
>> Suppose I have the following:
>>
>> test <- list(a=1,b=2,c=3)
>>
>> I also have a vector (or list, or something else...) with new numbers
>>
>> new <- c(4,5,6)
>>
>> What I'm trying to figure out is how to take the list, and update the
>> numbers from {1,2,3} to {4,5,6}
>>
>> So, in the end,I want the 'update' test list to look like
>>
>> (a=4,a=5,a=6)
>>
>> I tried a bunch of obvious things I know about 'replacing' things
>> (without success), but the problem in this instance seems to be the fact
>> that the list contains elements that are expressions (a=1, a=2,...), while
>> the new vector is simply a set of numbers.
>>
>> So, I want to change the numbers in the list, but retain the character
>> parts of the expressions in the list (I need to have the list of
>> expressions as is for other purposes).
>>
>> Doable?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...

> ng-guide.html

Re: update numeric values of list with new values...

Evan Cooch
Thanks!